From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] I don't seem to have a system log. Help, please!
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2015 15:02:53
1 On Mon, Feb 9, 2015 at 9:26 AM, <covici@××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > I wonder if the original poster is using systemd?
4
5 He already said he isn't. He just was looking for the wrong filename.
6
7 > Also, I find journalctl very clumsy to find things about a specific
8 > program, such as mail logs or whatever -- unless I am missing
9 > something.
10
11 Well, the journal only contains stuff sent to it. So, if apache dumps
12 some stuff to stdout or to /dev/log or whatever then it will be in the
13 journal. If apache dumps its logs directly to a file in
14 /var/log/apache then the journal won't contain it. Many files in
15 /var/log were not created by syslog-ng, and this would not show up in
16 the journal.
17
18 > I use syslog-ng, although I get a lot of messages which say
19 > forwarding to syslog missed n messages from system journal, so maybe
20 > its a problem, but how would you use logwatch without something like
21 > syslog-ng?
22
23 You'd need to use a systemd-aware log watcher.
26 Rich