From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT:Choosing a filesystem
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2010 03:50:29
1 stosss <stosss@×××××.com> [10-04-03 05:31]:
2 > On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 1:47 PM, <meino.cramer@×××.de> wrote:
3 > >
4 > > Hi,
5 > >
6 > > I googled down some - often fairly outdated - texts about "the
7 > > best filesystem" fpr a Linux box. Other texts focussed on
8 > > uses, which do not aplly to me: Fileservers, webservers, database
9 > > machines  etc.
10 > >
11 > > Wnat I want is a fast and stable (!) filesystem for a desktop PC
12 > > with one 1TByte harddisk. Since using Gentoo and a lot of sources
13 > > I do compile very often "bigger things" (blender-2.50 for example).
14 > > Another thing: Due to my experimenting it is possible that I have to
15 > > reboot "hard", which means, the filesystem will be unmounted not
16 > > cleanly ("dirty" do to say...;) The choosen filesystem should be
17 > > good in recovering such thing.
18 > >
19 > > I am currently using a vanilla 2.6.32.10 kernel.
20 > >
21 > > The question, what remains is: What choose should I make?
22 >
23 > I have been following this thread. I decided to research to do my own
24 > comparisons of ext3, ext4, JFS and XFS.
25 >
26 > ext3 has 3 journaling levels:
27 >
28 > Journal (lowest risk)
29 > Ordered (medium risk) most Linux distributions are using this one
30 > Writeback (highest risk)
31 >
32 > XFS uses Ordered (medium risk)
33 > JFS uses Writeback (highest risk)
34 >
35 > It appears from the documentation that ext4 takes the best of ext3, XFS and JFS.
36 >
37 > My research also showed that ext2/3 is the most widely used on Linux
38 > and has the greatest community support coverage.
39 >
40 > ext4 falls into the same category as XFS and JFS in this respect.
41 >
42 > It appears that ext4, XFS or JFS or some combination of them would be
43 > the best choice.
44 >
45 > If you want to know where I got my information use Google like I did.
46 >
47 > --
48 > If we can but prevent the government from wasting the labours of the
49 > people, under the pretence of taking care of them, they must become
50 > happy. - Thomas Jefferson
53 Hi Stoss,
54
55 thanks for your effort ! :)
56
57 As I wrote, I did googling before starting this thread and found
58 mostly outdated informations or informations not applying to my
59 situation. Often it is best -- regardless what papers of 2008 or
60 before are stateing -- to ask people for their current and
61 uptodate experiences. Additionally your informations are all pure
62 technical based...they are missing exactly what I was searching
63 for: Experiences of people using different setups. And as you can
64 see: This thread reports many of that.
65
66 Best reagrds.
67 mcc
72 Please don't send me any Word- or Powerpoint-Attachments
73 unless it's absolutely neccessary. - Send simply Text.
74 See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html
75 In a world without fences and walls nobody needs gates and windows.