From: stosss <stosss@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT:Choosing a filesystem
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2010 22:02:17
1 On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 1:47 PM, <meino.cramer@×××.de> wrote:
2 >
3 > Hi,
4 >
5 > I googled down some - often fairly outdated - texts about "the
6 > best filesystem" fpr a Linux box. Other texts focussed on
7 > uses, which do not aplly to me: Fileservers, webservers, database
8 > machines  etc.
9 >
10 > Wnat I want is a fast and stable (!) filesystem for a desktop PC
11 > with one 1TByte harddisk. Since using Gentoo and a lot of sources
12 > I do compile very often "bigger things" (blender-2.50 for example).
13 > Another thing: Due to my experimenting it is possible that I have to
14 > reboot "hard", which means, the filesystem will be unmounted not
15 > cleanly ("dirty" do to say...;) The choosen filesystem should be
16 > good in recovering such thing.
17 >
18 > I am currently using a vanilla 2.6.32.10 kernel.
19 >
20 > The question, what remains is: What choose should I make?
21
22 I have been following this thread. I decided to research to do my own
23 comparisons of ext3, ext4, JFS and XFS.
24
25 ext3 has 3 journaling levels:
26
27 Journal (lowest risk)
28 Ordered (medium risk) most Linux distributions are using this one
29 Writeback (highest risk)
30
31 XFS uses Ordered (medium risk)
32 JFS uses Writeback (highest risk)
33
34 It appears from the documentation that ext4 takes the best of ext3, XFS and JFS.
35
36 My research also showed that ext2/3 is the most widely used on Linux
37 and has the greatest community support coverage.
38
39 ext4 falls into the same category as XFS and JFS in this respect.
40
41 It appears that ext4, XFS or JFS or some combination of them would be
42 the best choice.
43
44 If you want to know where I got my information use Google like I did.
47 If we can but prevent the government from wasting the labours of the
48 people, under the pretence of taking care of them, they must become
49 happy. - Thomas Jefferson