From: Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] planned btrfs conversion: questions
Date: Thu, 08 May 2014 20:43:44
1 Am Thu, 08 May 2014 19:57:34 +0800
2 schrieb William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>:
3
4 > On 05/07/14 07:51, Marc Joliet wrote:
5 > > Am Wed, 07 May 2014 06:56:12 +0800
6 > > schrieb William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>:
7 > >
8 > >> On 05/06/14 18:18, Marc Joliet wrote:
9 > >>> Hi all,
10 > >>>
11 > >>> I've become increasingly motivated to convert to btrfs. From what I've seen,
12 > >>> it has become increasingly stable; enough so that it is apparently supposed to
13 > >>> become the default FS on OpenSuse in 13.2.
14 > >>>
15 > >>> I am motivated by various reasons:
16 > >> ....
17 > >>
18 > >> My btrfs experience:
19 > >>
20 > >> I have been using btrfs seriously (vs testing) for a while now with
21 > >> mixed results but the latest kernel/tools seem to be holding up quite well.
22 > >>
23 > >> ~ 2yrs on a Apple/gentoo laptop (I handed it back to work a few months
24 > >> back) - never a problem! (mounted with discard/trim)
25 > > That's one HDD, right? From what I've read, that's the most tested and stable
26 > > use case for btrfs, so it doesn't surprise me that much that it worked so well.
27 > >
28 > Yes, light duty using the builtin ssd chips on the motherboard.
29
30 SSD chips on the motherboard? I just did a quick googled (well, "duckduckwent"
31 would be more accurate; funny how language works), do you mean something like
32 the Intel Z68 chipset?
33
34 > >> btrfs on a 128MB intel ssd (linux root drive) had to secure reset a few
35 > >> times as btrfs said the filesystem was full, but there was 60G+ free -
36 > >> happens after multiple crashes and it seemed the btrfs metadata and the
37 > >> ssd disagreed on what was actually in use - reset drive and restore from
38 > >> backups :( Now running ext4 on that drive with no problems - will move
39 > >> back to btrfs at some point.
40 > > All the more reason to stick with EXT4 on the SSD for now.
41 > I have had had very poor luck with ext anything and would hesitate it to
42 > recommend it except for this very specific case where there is little
43 > alternative - reiserfs is far better on platters for instance.
44
45 I, like Stefan, am interested in precisely what kind of negative experiences
46 you've had with ext*.
47
48 I used to use reiserfs (from waaay back when I still used SuSE), but the only
49 remnant of that is a broken external HDD that I want to attempt a ddrescue on
50 someday (really the only reason I still keep around reiserfs support in my
51 kernel). The only thing I really miss is tail packing of small files; my actual
52 disk usage grew noticeably after my switch to ext4. But ext* have the distinct
53 advantage of being used pretty much everywhere, which, as we all know, is an
54 important factor in finding bugs. Reiserfs, in comparison, is AFAIK
55 unmaintained now (of course, it's maintained in the sense that the existing
56 code is kept working, but that's beside the point).
57
58 > > [snip interesting but irrelevant ceph scenario]
59 > Its relevant because it keeps revealing bugs in btrfs by stressing it -
60 > one of those reported by me to ceph was reported upstream by the ceph
61 > team and fixed last year - bugs still exist in btrfs !
62
63 Sorry, I read "ceph" and immediately thought "OK, clustering file system, way
64 outside of experience" and didn't realise you were talking about outright bugs
65 in btrfs (I kind of assumed a situation similar to btrfs and swap files: one
66 piece of software (e.g., the kernel swap code) making assumptions that don't
67 hold for btrfs).
68
69 > >> 3 x raid 0+1 (btrfs raid 1 with 3 drives) - working well for about a month
70 > > That last one is particularly good to know. I expect RAID 0, 1 and 10 to work
71 > > fairly well, since those are the oldest supported RAID levels.
72 > >
73 > >> ~10+ gentoo VM's, one ubuntu and 3 x Win VM's with kvm/qemu storage on
74 > >> btrfs - regular scrubs show an occasional VM problem after system crash
75 > >> (VM server), otherwise problem free since moving to pure btrfs from
76 > >> ceph. Gentoo VM's were btrfs in raw qemu containers and are now
77 > >> converted to qcow2 - no problems since moving from ceph. Fragmentation
78 > >> on VM's is a problem but "cp --reflink vm1 vm2" for vm's is really
79 > >> really cool!
80 > > That matches the scenario from the ars technica article; the author is a huge
81 > > fan of file cloning in btrfs :) .
82 > >
83 > > And yeah, too bad autodefrag is not yet stable.
84 > Not that its not stable but that it cant deal with large files that
85 > change randomly on a continual basis like VM virtual disks.
86
87 Oh, I thought it was still considered new and "unpolished" (I did not mean
88 buggy!).
89
90 > >> I have a clear impression that btrfs has been incrementally improving
91 > >> and the current kernel and recovery tools are quite good but its still
92 > >> possible to end up with an unrecoverable partition (in the sense that
93 > >> you might be able to get to some of the the data using recovery tools,
94 > >> but the btrfs mount itself is toast)
95 > >>
96 > >> Backups using dirvish - was getting an occasional corruption (mainly
97 > >> checksum) that seemed to coincide with network problems during a backup
98 > >> sequence - have not seen it for a couple of months now. Only lost whole
99 > >> partition once :( Dirvish really hammers a file system and ext4 usually
100 > >> dies very quickly so even now btrfs is far better here.
101 > > I use rsnapshot here with an external hard drive formatted to EXT4. I'm not
102 > > *that* worried about the FS dying, more that it dies at an inopportune moment
103 > > where I can't immediately restore it.
104 > >
105 > > [again, snip interesting but irrelevant ceph scenario]
106 > as I said above - if it fails under ceph, its likely going to fail under
107 > similar stresses using other software - I am not talking ceph bugs (of
108 > which there are many) but actual btrfs corruption.
109
110 Got it, thanks!
111
112 > >> I am slowly moving my systems from reiserfs to btrfs as my confidence in
113 > >> it and its tools builds. I really dislike ext4 and its ability to lose
114 > >> valuable data (though that has improved dramaticaly) but it still seems
115 > >> better than btrfs on solid state and hard use - but after getting burnt
116 > >> I am avoiding that scenario so need to retest.
117 > > Rising confidence: good to hear :) .
118 > >
119 > > Perhaps this will turn out similarly to when I was using the xf86-video-ati
120 > > release candidates and bleeding edge gentoo-sources/mesa/libdrm/etc. (for 3D
121 > > support in the r600 driver): I start using it shortly before it starts truly
122 > > stabilising :) .
123 > >
124 > More exposure, more bugs will surface and be fixed - its getting there.
125
126 I sure hope so, I'll be making the switch either tomorrow or Monday :-) .
127
128 > BillK
131 Marc Joliet
132 --
133 "People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who know we
134 don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup