From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] planned btrfs conversion: questions
Date: Thu, 08 May 2014 11:57:48
1 On 05/07/14 07:51, Marc Joliet wrote:
2 > Am Wed, 07 May 2014 06:56:12 +0800
3 > schrieb William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>:
4 >
5 >> On 05/06/14 18:18, Marc Joliet wrote:
6 >>> Hi all,
7 >>>
8 >>> I've become increasingly motivated to convert to btrfs. From what I've seen,
9 >>> it has become increasingly stable; enough so that it is apparently supposed to
10 >>> become the default FS on OpenSuse in 13.2.
11 >>>
12 >>> I am motivated by various reasons:
13 >> ....
14 >>
15 >> My btrfs experience:
16 >>
17 >> I have been using btrfs seriously (vs testing) for a while now with
18 >> mixed results but the latest kernel/tools seem to be holding up quite well.
19 >>
20 >> ~ 2yrs on a Apple/gentoo laptop (I handed it back to work a few months
21 >> back) - never a problem! (mounted with discard/trim)
22 > That's one HDD, right? From what I've read, that's the most tested and stable
23 > use case for btrfs, so it doesn't surprise me that much that it worked so well.
24 >
25 Yes, light duty using the builtin ssd chips on the motherboard.
26 >> btrfs on a 128MB intel ssd (linux root drive) had to secure reset a few
27 >> times as btrfs said the filesystem was full, but there was 60G+ free -
28 >> happens after multiple crashes and it seemed the btrfs metadata and the
29 >> ssd disagreed on what was actually in use - reset drive and restore from
30 >> backups :( Now running ext4 on that drive with no problems - will move
31 >> back to btrfs at some point.
32 > All the more reason to stick with EXT4 on the SSD for now.
33 I have had had very poor luck with ext anything and would hesitate it to
34 recommend it except for this very specific case where there is little
35 alternative - reiserfs is far better on platters for instance.
36 >
37 > [snip interesting but irrelevant ceph scenario]
38 Its relevant because it keeps revealing bugs in btrfs by stressing it -
39 one of those reported by me to ceph was reported upstream by the ceph
40 team and fixed last year - bugs still exist in btrfs !
41 >> 3 x raid 0+1 (btrfs raid 1 with 3 drives) - working well for about a month
42 > That last one is particularly good to know. I expect RAID 0, 1 and 10 to work
43 > fairly well, since those are the oldest supported RAID levels.
44 >
45 >> ~10+ gentoo VM's, one ubuntu and 3 x Win VM's with kvm/qemu storage on
46 >> btrfs - regular scrubs show an occasional VM problem after system crash
47 >> (VM server), otherwise problem free since moving to pure btrfs from
48 >> ceph. Gentoo VM's were btrfs in raw qemu containers and are now
49 >> converted to qcow2 - no problems since moving from ceph. Fragmentation
50 >> on VM's is a problem but "cp --reflink vm1 vm2" for vm's is really
51 >> really cool!
52 > That matches the scenario from the ars technica article; the author is a huge
53 > fan of file cloning in btrfs :) .
54 >
55 > And yeah, too bad autodefrag is not yet stable.
56 Not that its not stable but that it cant deal with large files that
57 change randomly on a continual basis like VM virtual disks.
58 >
59 >> I have a clear impression that btrfs has been incrementally improving
60 >> and the current kernel and recovery tools are quite good but its still
61 >> possible to end up with an unrecoverable partition (in the sense that
62 >> you might be able to get to some of the the data using recovery tools,
63 >> but the btrfs mount itself is toast)
64 >>
65 >> Backups using dirvish - was getting an occasional corruption (mainly
66 >> checksum) that seemed to coincide with network problems during a backup
67 >> sequence - have not seen it for a couple of months now. Only lost whole
68 >> partition once :( Dirvish really hammers a file system and ext4 usually
69 >> dies very quickly so even now btrfs is far better here.
70 > I use rsnapshot here with an external hard drive formatted to EXT4. I'm not
71 > *that* worried about the FS dying, more that it dies at an inopportune moment
72 > where I can't immediately restore it.
73 >
74 > [again, snip interesting but irrelevant ceph scenario]
75 as I said above - if it fails under ceph, its likely going to fail under
76 similar stresses using other software - I am not talking ceph bugs (of
77 which there are many) but actual btrfs corruption.
78 >> I am slowly moving my systems from reiserfs to btrfs as my confidence in
79 >> it and its tools builds. I really dislike ext4 and its ability to lose
80 >> valuable data (though that has improved dramaticaly) but it still seems
81 >> better than btrfs on solid state and hard use - but after getting burnt
82 >> I am avoiding that scenario so need to retest.
83 > Rising confidence: good to hear :) .
84 >
85 > Perhaps this will turn out similarly to when I was using the xf86-video-ati
86 > release candidates and bleeding edge gentoo-sources/mesa/libdrm/etc. (for 3D
87 > support in the r600 driver): I start using it shortly before it starts truly
88 > stabilising :) .
89 >
90 More exposure, more bugs will surface and be fixed - its getting there.
91
92 BillK