From: Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] planned btrfs conversion: questions
Date: Tue, 06 May 2014 23:51:42
1 Am Wed, 07 May 2014 06:56:12 +0800
2 schrieb William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>:
3
4 > On 05/06/14 18:18, Marc Joliet wrote:
5 > > Hi all,
6 > >
7 > > I've become increasingly motivated to convert to btrfs. From what I've seen,
8 > > it has become increasingly stable; enough so that it is apparently supposed to
9 > > become the default FS on OpenSuse in 13.2.
10 > >
11 > > I am motivated by various reasons:
12 > ....
13 >
14 > My btrfs experience:
15 >
16 > I have been using btrfs seriously (vs testing) for a while now with
17 > mixed results but the latest kernel/tools seem to be holding up quite well.
18 >
19 > ~ 2yrs on a Apple/gentoo laptop (I handed it back to work a few months
20 > back) - never a problem! (mounted with discard/trim)
21
22 That's one HDD, right? From what I've read, that's the most tested and stable
23 use case for btrfs, so it doesn't surprise me that much that it worked so well.
24
25 > btrfs on a 128MB intel ssd (linux root drive) had to secure reset a few
26 > times as btrfs said the filesystem was full, but there was 60G+ free -
27 > happens after multiple crashes and it seemed the btrfs metadata and the
28 > ssd disagreed on what was actually in use - reset drive and restore from
29 > backups :( Now running ext4 on that drive with no problems - will move
30 > back to btrfs at some point.
31
32 All the more reason to stick with EXT4 on the SSD for now.
33
34 [snip interesting but irrelevant ceph scenario]
35 >
36 > 3 x raid 0+1 (btrfs raid 1 with 3 drives) - working well for about a month
37
38 That last one is particularly good to know. I expect RAID 0, 1 and 10 to work
39 fairly well, since those are the oldest supported RAID levels.
40
41 > ~10+ gentoo VM's, one ubuntu and 3 x Win VM's with kvm/qemu storage on
42 > btrfs - regular scrubs show an occasional VM problem after system crash
43 > (VM server), otherwise problem free since moving to pure btrfs from
44 > ceph. Gentoo VM's were btrfs in raw qemu containers and are now
45 > converted to qcow2 - no problems since moving from ceph. Fragmentation
46 > on VM's is a problem but "cp --reflink vm1 vm2" for vm's is really
47 > really cool!
48
49 That matches the scenario from the ars technica article; the author is a huge
50 fan of file cloning in btrfs :) .
51
52 And yeah, too bad autodefrag is not yet stable.
53
54 > I have a clear impression that btrfs has been incrementally improving
55 > and the current kernel and recovery tools are quite good but its still
56 > possible to end up with an unrecoverable partition (in the sense that
57 > you might be able to get to some of the the data using recovery tools,
58 > but the btrfs mount itself is toast)
59 >
60 > Backups using dirvish - was getting an occasional corruption (mainly
61 > checksum) that seemed to coincide with network problems during a backup
62 > sequence - have not seen it for a couple of months now. Only lost whole
63 > partition once :( Dirvish really hammers a file system and ext4 usually
64 > dies very quickly so even now btrfs is far better here.
65
66 I use rsnapshot here with an external hard drive formatted to EXT4. I'm not
67 *that* worried about the FS dying, more that it dies at an inopportune moment
68 where I can't immediately restore it.
69
70 [again, snip interesting but irrelevant ceph scenario]
71 >
72 > I am slowly moving my systems from reiserfs to btrfs as my confidence in
73 > it and its tools builds. I really dislike ext4 and its ability to lose
74 > valuable data (though that has improved dramaticaly) but it still seems
75 > better than btrfs on solid state and hard use - but after getting burnt
76 > I am avoiding that scenario so need to retest.
77
78 Rising confidence: good to hear :) .
79
80 Perhaps this will turn out similarly to when I was using the xf86-video-ati
81 release candidates and bleeding edge gentoo-sources/mesa/libdrm/etc. (for 3D
82 support in the r600 driver): I start using it shortly before it starts truly
83 stabilising :) .
86 Marc Joliet
87 --
88 "People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who know we
89 don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup