From: Nick Rout <nick@×××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] MythTV vs. Gentoo VDR
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 01:41:58
1 On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 15:18:18 +0200
2 Hans-Werner Hilse <hilse@×××.de> wrote:
3
4 > Hi,
5 >
6 > On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 15:19:31 +1200
7 > Nick Rout <nick@×××××××.nz> wrote:
8 >
9 > > Yes but what has that to do with gentoo? Its not a gentoo project!
10 > > I was confused by the OP referring to "gentoo vdr"
11 >
12 > Me too. I know there's a Gentoo project for the VDR application. But
13 > basically I think the OP was reffering to a software rather than a
14 > project and wants a comparision.
15 >
16 > I'm running VDR, but not the Gentoo ebuild but rather compiled directly
17 > from source (all dependencies done by Gentoo, though).
18 >
19 > > differences AFAIK:
20 > >
21 > > 1. VDR is for DVB only
22 >
23 > Yes. But there are plugins to make it work with analog tv, too. See all
24 > those plugins in media-plugins/vdr-*, I think at least the analogtv and
25 > pvr* plugins are made for this.
26 >
27 > > 2. VDR is very Euro-centric - thats not a criticism, just worth knowing
28 > > as european tv has many differences to, eg, USA tv in terms of
29 > > technical format.
30 >
31 > That's true. And I think there are still some minor glitches w/ regard
32 > to PAL/NTSC (PAL is default).
33 >
34 > > 3. There is far more documentation around for MythTV, I struggle to
35 > > find good docs for VDR.
36 >
37 > http://www.linuxtv.org/vdrwiki/index.php/Main_Page
38 > is probably the most comprehensive documentation in english language.
39
40 Thank you for your informative post. We are PAL here too in New Zealand. We are about to get a DVB-T and DVB-S freeview digital tv network (sometime in the next year). I will be carefully evaluating VDR, but it might take a bit to move me off mythtv. Cheers.
44 > -hwh
45 > --
46 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
49 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list