From: Hans-Werner Hilse <hilse@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] MythTV vs. Gentoo VDR
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2006 13:22:50
1 Hi,
2
3 On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 15:19:31 +1200
4 Nick Rout <nick@×××××××.nz> wrote:
5
6 > Yes but what has that to do with gentoo? Its not a gentoo project!
7 > I was confused by the OP referring to "gentoo vdr"
8
9 Me too. I know there's a Gentoo project for the VDR application. But
10 basically I think the OP was reffering to a software rather than a
11 project and wants a comparision.
12
13 I'm running VDR, but not the Gentoo ebuild but rather compiled directly
14 from source (all dependencies done by Gentoo, though).
15
16 > differences AFAIK:
17 >
18 > 1. VDR is for DVB only
19
20 Yes. But there are plugins to make it work with analog tv, too. See all
21 those plugins in media-plugins/vdr-*, I think at least the analogtv and
22 pvr* plugins are made for this.
23
24 > 2. VDR is very Euro-centric - thats not a criticism, just worth knowing
25 > as european tv has many differences to, eg, USA tv in terms of
26 > technical format.
27
28 That's true. And I think there are still some minor glitches w/ regard
29 to PAL/NTSC (PAL is default).
30
31 > 3. There is far more documentation around for MythTV, I struggle to
32 > find good docs for VDR.
33
34 http://www.linuxtv.org/vdrwiki/index.php/Main_Page
35 is probably the most comprehensive documentation in english language.
38 -hwh
39 --
40 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list