From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Partitions - last questions...
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 15:40:18
1 On 2013-04-23 12:34 PM, Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net> wrote:
2 > Am 23.04.2013 16:44, schrieb Tanstaafl:
3 >> /boot (ext2), 100M
4 >> /swap, 2G
5 >> / (ext4), 40G
6 >>
7 >> then on LVM
8 >>
9 >> /tmp (ext2), 5G? <- how big?
10 >> /var/tmp (ext2), 5G? <- how big?
11
12 > If this is a production server I wouldn't use ext2. In the case of a
13 > crash or reboot, you don't want to loose precious uptime just because of
14 > fsck or corrupted file systems.
15
16 Noted, changed these to ext4...
17
18 >> /var/log (ext4) <- size? should I even have this separate?
19
20 > Doesn't need to be separate but could prevent a runaway process from
21 > filling /var just because it is spamming log entries. Could also be
22 > achieved with quotas.
23
24 Filling up due to runaway logging is why I wanted this on a separate
25 partition, and I prefer this to quotas...
26
27 >> One question... I have some MySQL databases running on this system too,
28 >> for my userdbs, and on the new server, SOGo (groupware)...
29 >>
30 >> Is it recommended to incorporate scripts to perform dumps of the dbs, or
31 >> is the lvm snapshot reliable enough for backing these up in their raw
32 >> state?
33
34 > Restoring from lvm snapshot is like restoring after a black out or
35 > similar crash. Having proper dumps is always a good idea.
36
37 The snapshots are strictly transient, created/dropped during rsnapshot
38 backups...
39
40 I think I will schedule a cronjob for sql dumps too, for an extra
41 backup/restore option...
42
43 > Hope this helps,
44