From: Zac Medico <zmedico@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo or Linux from Scratch - Perspectives?
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 01:49:14
1 Paul Hoy wrote:
2 >
3 > On Aug 14, 2005, at 6:35 PM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
4 >
5 >> On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 09:38:28 +1200, Nick Rout wrote:
8 >>> Unstable does not really cut it IMHO. I am a gentoo enthusiast through
9 >>> and through, but plonking something in portage with a ~ beside it does
10 >>> not constitute a release of a recent version IMHO.
11 >>>
12 >>
13 >> They're not "unstable", they are "testing", and that only applies to the
14 >> ebuild itself, not the upstream package. If you want the latest versions,
15 >> you need to run ~arch. Any distro that puts brand new packages (with the
16 >> exception of security fixes) into its stable package tree has thrown all
17 >> concept of QA out of the window.
20 >> --
21 >> Neil Bothwick
22 >>
23 >> Top Oxymorons Number 30: Business ethics
26 > Hi Neil,
27 >
28 > Is there a way to explicitly search for ~arch releases or do I have set
29 > the ACCEPT_KEYWORDS variable in make.conf and hope for the best during
30 > emerge?
31 >
32 > Paul
35 > *ACCEPT_KEYWORDS variable*
39 You can export variables in the shell (not generally recommended) or put them directly on the command line.
40
41 ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge -s foo
42
43 It's best to use /etc/portage/package.keywords to keep your package specific keywords (documented in the "portage" manpage).
44
45 Zac
46 --
47 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list