From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hard drive screws
Date: Sat, 06 Jun 2020 08:23:39
1 On Saturday, 6 June 2020 04:06:54 BST Dale wrote:
2
3 > We have reds, purples, greens and all sort of color codes for hard
4 > drives, maybe they need to color code their screws as well. :/
5 >
6 > Now to go find a grab bag or something. This sucks.
7
8 Yes, getting the thread wrong and damaging the female thread in the enclosure,
9 while thinking this /almost/ fits, is not good for your nerves. There are
10 thread gauges which you can match the pitch of a screw/bolt and help determine
11 the thread specification, but they are typically used for larger screws/holes:
12
13 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thread_pitch_gauge
14
15 A way to determine a *potential* match between screw and hole, is to count the
16 turns per unit of length and of course the diameter of the hole. Use a
17 magnifying glass and measure how many turns you can see inside the whole,
18 while holding a piece of thin wire in it. You need only dip the wire up to
19 the first 3 threads, but if you can see further in, even better. Then offer
20 *exactly* the same length of wire against your screws and see which of these
21 matches.
22
23 Then use a reference table to find out from your thread pitch and diameter a
24 likely specification for your screws; e.g.
25
26 http://theoreticalmachinist.com/Threads_UnifiedImperial.aspx
29 P.S. if you have no magnifying glass you can use binoculars or a scope,
30 looking from the far end, or the camera of a smart phone, or an SLR.
33 > P. S. It seems those older not working enclosures may have caused issues
34 > with my drive. I'm having to dd the first one, redo the partitions and
35 > still having issues getting it to work. May be a doorstop when this is
36 > over.
37
38 You're not saying what problems these are, but smartctl should report anything
39 amiss with the drive internals. Otherwise, check power supply and loose
40 connectors.