From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hard drive screws
Date: Sat, 06 Jun 2020 03:07:08
1 Jack wrote:
2 > Were you thinking about this?  https://xkcd.com/927/
3 >
4 > On 2020.06.05 22:24, William Kenworthy wrote:
5 >> No, there are a lot of different sizes used across brands - and there
6 >> are metric and imperial threads which is likely the cause of your almost
7 >> fitting ones.
8 >>
9 >> What standard? - if don't like it, wait a few minutes and another will
10 >> come along ...
11 >>
12 >> :)
13 >>
14 >> BillK
18 While sad, this is sort of funny.  It confirms my thinking tho, a hard
19 drive screw is not a hard drive screw unless it says Dell, Gateway, WD,
20 Seagate, Toshiba etc etc etc on it.  This means I may have to buy one of
21 those divider thingys that is larger just for me to be able to keep the
22 hard drive screws separate, since they are different.
23
24 We have reds, purples, greens and all sort of color codes for hard
25 drives, maybe they need to color code their screws as well.  :/
26
27 Now to go find a grab bag or something.  This sucks.
28
29 Dale
30
32
33 P. S. It seems those older not working enclosures may have caused issues
34 with my drive.  I'm having to dd the first one, redo the partitions and
35 still having issues getting it to work.  May be a doorstop when this is
36 over.