From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] NAS and replacing with larger drives
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2022 09:15:39
1 Wol wrote:
2 > On 09/12/2022 01:15, Dale wrote:
3 >> Given the size of one of the directories I have, it takes two drives, or
4 >> soon will, and the use of LVM or something similar.  I can't do that as
5 >> it is now.  I've even wondered if I hooked two eSATA drives up and gave
6 >> both plenty of time to spin up if LVM would see them both and me be able
7 >> to use two drives as one that way.  Thing is, I don't know how LVM
8 >> reacts if the two drives become available at separate times, maybe even
9 >> many seconds or a minute or so apart.
10 >
11 > If you're using LVM to link them together, it will wait until they
12 > become available. Okay, not quite the same, but I run raid over
13 > dm-integrity, and it always unnerves me when systemd fires up this job
14 > and it says "waiting for lvm/home". But the system just sits there
15 > while dm-integrity checks its drives, makes them available, raid spots
16 > and loads them, and then the raid is there, lvm spots it, makes
17 > lvm/home available, and the system is up and running ...
18
19 Really?  Oh that just may start something.  I could easily setup two
20 drives and use LVM on them.  I just didn't know that it would work.  One
21 added benefit, they are encrypted with cryptsetup which puts everything
22 on top of LVM.  So, the data isn't available until I type in the
23 password and then mount it.  It doesn't try to mount automatically or
24 anything because of that.  Oh, this could be the start of something.
27 > Cheers,
28 > Wol
32 Dale
33