From: Wol <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] NAS and replacing with larger drives
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2022 07:56:45
1 On 09/12/2022 01:15, Dale wrote:
2 > Given the size of one of the directories I have, it takes two drives, or
3 > soon will, and the use of LVM or something similar.  I can't do that as
4 > it is now.  I've even wondered if I hooked two eSATA drives up and gave
5 > both plenty of time to spin up if LVM would see them both and me be able
6 > to use two drives as one that way.  Thing is, I don't know how LVM
7 > reacts if the two drives become available at separate times, maybe even
8 > many seconds or a minute or so apart.
9
10 If you're using LVM to link them together, it will wait until they
11 become available. Okay, not quite the same, but I run raid over
12 dm-integrity, and it always unnerves me when systemd fires up this job
13 and it says "waiting for lvm/home". But the system just sits there while
14 dm-integrity checks its drives, makes them available, raid spots and
15 loads them, and then the raid is there, lvm spots it, makes lvm/home
16 available, and the system is up and running ...
17 >
18 > My problem is a growing directory.  I admit, It's not increasing as fast
19 > as it was.  When I was on DSL, it limited my speed a lot.  With this new
20 > fiber internet, I can download huge amounts of data in a really short
21 > period of time.  I can download it faster than I can verify it.  I'm
22 > still checking things I downloaded over a month ago.  I'm having fun
23 > doing it tho.  😉
24 >
25 > I thought about breaking up that huge directory.  Split it into two
26 > parts, the 'a' through 'l' and 'm' through 'z' thing.  Then use two
27 > drives to back it up.
28
29 I think you're going to have to ...
30
31 > Thing is, the external drive enclosures that I
32 > really like and trust, I can't buy anymore.  They are Rosewill eSATA
33 > drive enclosures.  It has a fan to keep things cool and a display on the
34 > front.  They are really nice and rock solid.  All the USB type drive
35 > enclosures I've tried caused all sorts of problems.  I bricked a couple
36 > hard drives and eventually, the enclosures wouldn't work at all.  The
37 > Rosewill enclosures are the most stable things I've ever seen.  I wish I
38 > could find a few more of them, as spares if nothing else.
39
40 Yup, that's my experience of USB, too. It just isn't reliable. And
41 anything that works and you like, they discontinue!
42
43 Cheers,
44 Wol