From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] NAS and replacing with larger drives
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2022 01:15:45
1 Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
2 > Am Thu, Dec 08, 2022 at 05:30:18PM -0600 schrieb Dale:
3 >
4 >>> I use USB3 hard drives on Pis for my bulk storage because I care about
5 >>> capacity far more than performance, and with a distributed filesystem
6 >>> the performance is still good enough for what I'm doing. If I needed
7 >>> block storage for containers/VMs/whatever then use a different
8 >>> solution, but that gets expensive fast.
9 >>> […]
10 >> From my understanding, you are right about USB3 and GB ethernet being
11 >> the big change.  They also have more memory and faster CPUs but if you
12 >> bottleneck the data with slow USB and ethernet with the old ones, who
13 >> needs a fast CPU?  I think they realized that the USB and ethernet had
14 >> to improve.  It got better from there.
15 >>
16 >> https://shop.allnetchina.cn/collections/sata-hat/products/dual-sata-hat-open-frame-for-raspberry-pi-4
17 >>
18 >> I found the above.  From my understanding, it allows a SATA drive to
19 >> connect to either 2 or 4 bays.
20 > Looking at the pics, it looks all very wibbly-wobbly. You will either have
21 > the parts lying around open on a desk or you need to find a case for all
22 > that stuff which adheres to no industry standard form factor. Pi accessories
23 > are quite hard to come by, since they’re often sold out.
24
25 They have a case for it too.  Check this out.
26
27 https://shop.allnetchina.cn/collections/sata-hat/products/quad-sata-kit-for-raspberry-pi-4-case-only
31 >> One thing I like about the Raspberry option, I can upgrade it later.  I
32 >> can simply take out the old, put in new, upgrade done.  If I buy a
33 >> prebuilt NAS, they pretty much are what they are if upgrading isn't a
34 >> option.
35 > If you just do storage, what do you need upgrades for, anyway? All it needs
36 > to do is receive your data and write it to disk. And then return it later
37 > when asked for. I don’t remember you mentioning running VMs or some such.
38 > Any current commercial NAS has enough oomph for that, unless it’s a very
39 > cheap ARM-based one. (Only the ecryption part remains to be solved with a
40 > ready-made NAS.)
41
42 Well, my pool of data keeps growing.  I may need to add drives or
43 something.  Plus, every few years, I could upgrade the thing if I go the
44 Raspberry Pi route.  Keep it running fast and all that.   ;-)
47 >> I just wonder, could I use that board and just hook it to my USB port
48 >> and a external power supply and skip the Raspberry Pi part?  I'd bet not
49 >> tho.  ;-)
50 > From a practical standpoint, what is the difference then to an HDD dock or a
51 > simple USB-SATA-Adapter? Except that a dock is a “proper”, clean solution
52 > with a nice case, a secure stand on your desk and no finnicky open SATA
53 > cables that could cause disconnects during operation if you touch them the
54 > wrong way.
55 >
56 > I know what it’s like to ponder all kinds of options, and it’s fun. But it
57 > seems to me, you’re looking for a solution for a problem you’re still
58 > looking for.
61 Given the size of one of the directories I have, it takes two drives, or
62 soon will, and the use of LVM or something similar.  I can't do that as
63 it is now.  I've even wondered if I hooked two eSATA drives up and gave
64 both plenty of time to spin up if LVM would see them both and me be able
65 to use two drives as one that way.  Thing is, I don't know how LVM
66 reacts if the two drives become available at separate times, maybe even
67 many seconds or a minute or so apart.
68
69 My problem is a growing directory.  I admit, It's not increasing as fast
70 as it was.  When I was on DSL, it limited my speed a lot.  With this new
71 fiber internet, I can download huge amounts of data in a really short
72 period of time.  I can download it faster than I can verify it.  I'm
73 still checking things I downloaded over a month ago.  I'm having fun
74 doing it tho.  ;-)
75
76 I thought about breaking up that huge directory.  Split it into two
77 parts, the 'a' through 'l' and 'm' through 'z' thing.  Then use two
78 drives to back it up.  Thing is, the external drive enclosures that I
79 really like and trust, I can't buy anymore.  They are Rosewill eSATA
80 drive enclosures.  It has a fan to keep things cool and a display on the
81 front.  They are really nice and rock solid.  All the USB type drive
82 enclosures I've tried caused all sorts of problems.  I bricked a couple
83 hard drives and eventually, the enclosures wouldn't work at all.  The
84 Rosewill enclosures are the most stable things I've ever seen.  I wish I
85 could find a few more of them, as spares if nothing else.
86
87 Dale
88