From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] --depclean won't work anymore.
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 03:53:57
1 Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto wrote:
2 >>>>> EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--with-bdeps y --nospinner"
3 >>>>>
4 > I don't see the reason tough. Mine is just
5 > $ fgrep DEFAULT /etc/make.conf
6 > EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS=--nospinner
7 > The portage's default around bdeps is fine with me. It makes sense.
8 > And please think before changing the defaults. Do not change it just
9 > because it is fun. When you mess too much with your system, then when
10 > something breaks, it is harder to pinpoint the cause.
11 > (This comes from a reformed ricer).
12 >
13 > Regards,
14 > Jorge Peixoto
20 Well, this started because revdep-rebuild was griping about a package
21 not being up to date and with-bdeps fixed it. Actually, since I rarely
22 change a USE flag, the -N option doesn't do much either but I still add
23 it in. I learned a long time ago that keeping everything up to date is
24 the best way to keep my system stable.
25
26 If you really get down to it, as long as your system is working well,
27 why upgrade anything at all? If you are behind a firewall, there may
28 not be any reason to upgrade more than every year or so. Yet, we still
29 do it anyway. ;-) Gentoo actually sort of requires since if you get to
30 far behind, it's about easier to re-install.
31
32 As long as it works. . . . .
33
34 Dale