From: Dale <dalek@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kwrite and CPU usage and locking up when scrolling
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 19:56:18
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Monday 26 February 2007, Dale wrote:
5 >> It may be the wrong tool, but it has always worked before. I tend to
6 >> use what works. I said this in a reply somewhere before. By the
7 >> time I get good at using a command, like the now extinct etcat, they
8 >> change it to something else with a whole different set of options.
9 >> I'm hoping things will settle down then I can learn all this once.
12 > kwrite is an editor designed to edit smallish files, similar but
13 > slightly better than notepad. Like all small editors, it probably loads
14 > the entire file into memory before displaying it, and it gets very
15 > confused with some contents, thinking that they are blocks of code that
16 > can be collapsed.
17 >
18 > The program landscape will never settle down and leave you with a
19 > definite set of programs - Linux lives, breathes, grows and evolves
20 > almost exactly the way human societies do - always changing, always
21 > adapting and never the same in any two places.
22 >
23 > A few base programs you can rely on though - like less. It's a file
24 > viewer, designed to make it easy for you to look at the contents of
25 > files. It's also the thing that displays man pages. I highly recommend
26 > spending the few minutes it takes to get used to using it. It runs from
27 > a terminal, which is also worth spending some time to get used to it.
30 I use a terminal a lot. I use less pretty often too. It's just that I
31 got used to Kwrite and it was working fine for me. I don't knock what
32 is working. ;-) I always use man to display man pages. Am I weird?
35 >> Of course, if you wish to share a few commands with options and what
36 >> they do, that may help. I'm not sure I even know what all the
37 >> commands are right now. I got to much on my brain right now. It is
38 >> like mush.
39 >>
40 >> hmmmm, I have used less for a lot for things but not files this big.
41 >> I could wear out my page down key. LOL At least I don't have to
42 >> look into the emerge.log very often. That's good.
45 > big files the size of emerge.log (8M on my machine) is exactly what less
46 > excels at. The most useful key is of course "/" which lets you enter a
47 > string of text to search for, then 'q" to quit and "h" displays a help
48 > screen
49 >
50 > alan
55 My thing is getting to the bottom of the page in one key stroke. Maybe
56 I need to man less and read a bit. :/
57
58 Oh well, time to learn something I guess. It seems Kwrite is off the
59 path for a while.
60
61 Dale
62