From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Something firewall-ish
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2014 06:51:22
1 On Tuesday, December 16, 2014 05:46:17 AM meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
2 > »Q« <boxcars@×××.net> [14-12-16 05:28]:
3 > > On Tue, 16 Dec 2014 05:02:40 +0100
4 > >
5 > > meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
6 > > > actually the thing is: There is a plugin called "NoScript" which
7 > > > constantly accesses secure.informaction.com, which is the author
8 > > > of this plugin.
9 > > > I tried a lot to block that access from inside firefox but did
10 > > > not find a way to do so (read: _I_ did not find... ;)
11 > >
12 > > <http://hackademix.net/2010/07/28/abe-patrols-the-routes-to-your-routers/>
13 > > explains the connection and how to disable it in NoScript's options.
14 >
15 > Hi Q,
16 >
17 > very interesting page...thank you!
18 > Its the stuff I like ;)
19 >
20 > What is the difference between NoScript saying "the access to
21 > secure.informaction.com is completly anonymous" and
22 > anyone else stating this?
23 > Since the access is encrypted I cannot check its contents.
24 > And how is it possible to send back an answer, if my
25 > IP-address isn't offered (that is: "completly anonymous")?
26
27 For any connection between 2 computers, both will always know the IP address
28 of the other. (when using TCP/IP)
29
30 All that site does, according to the blogpost, is reply with "your IP is: xx"
31
32 There are other sites that offer a similar service and it's commonly used when
33 you need to know the external IP. (Dyndns-scripts use it as well)
34
35 > Do you know anything about the other address and its origin:
36 > s3-1.amazonaws.com
37 >
38 > ? It has something to do with a cloud service of Amazon...
39 > But what could be the origin of this one ... ?
40
41 Any plugin you have installed.
42 I've got that blocked in my firewall due to a large amount of SSH accesses in
43 my logs.
46 Joost