From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How can I control size of /run (tmpfs)?
Date: Sat, 26 May 2012 22:19:36
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Sat, 26 May 2012 22:08:48 +0200, Jarry wrote:
3 >
4 >> I suppose default size for tmpfs is half of physical memory,
5 >> if it is not configured somewhere else.
6 >
7 > It is, but that is the default maximum size, a tmpfs filesystem uses
8 > only as much memory as its contents require.
9 >
10 >> BTW, is there any way to turn this great feature off?
11 >> What is it good for? I do not see any advantage in having
12 >> /run on tmpfs...
13 >
14 > It makes sure that /run is available and writeable early in the boot
15 > process, whereas /var/run may not be and / may be mounted ro.
20 Mine wouldn't be since I have /var on a separate partition. I guess the
21 devs are getting ready for the ultimate screwup udev and friends is
22 putting in place. Oh well. This is life.
23
24 I just hope it never goes bonkers and tries to use half my ram. lol If
25 it did that while compiling LOo, that could be interesting. :/
26
27 Thanks for the info from all the replies. .
28
29 Dale
30
34 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or
35 how you interpreted my words!
36
37 Miss the compile output? Hint:
38 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"