From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: SVGA mode & the console
Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2011 14:00:00
1 Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de> [11-01-02 14:12]:
2 > On 01/02/2011 01:28 PM, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
3 > >Hi,
4 > >
5 > >there is a "small" linux distribution (GRML), which I use for rescue
6 > >and other purposes. I installed it on a USB-stick.
7 > >
8 > >Furthermore installed in my PC there is a MSI GT430 (nvidia) graphics
9 > >card and I use the nvidia-driver in conjunction with xorg 1.9.2.
10 > >
11 > >So far so nice...
12 > >
13 > >The GRML uses the noveau driver as far as I know.
14 > >
15 > >When I boot from my USB-stick I get a very nice high resolution
16 > >linux console. It uses vga=791 on the kernel commandline.
17 >
18 > Nouveau uses KMS, which means it automatically uses the monitor's
19 > native resolution and supports all resolutions the graphics card is
20 > capable of.
21 >
22 > On your PC, you're using the VESA fb driver, not Nouveau KMS. That
23 > means you're limited to VESA resolutions for your consoles. You can
24 > use the "vbetest" utility to detect which modes your card's VESA BIOS
25 > supports. To use this tool, emerge the "sys-libs/lrmi" package.
26 > Simply run the tool and it will print a list of modes you can use, and
27 > the resolutions those modes correspond to.
28 >
29 > If your desired resolution is not in the list, then there's no way to
30 > use that resolution in a VESA fb; you will need to switch to Nouveau's
31 > KMS fb.
35 Hi Nikos,
36
37 unfortunately lrmi fails to compile.