From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: SVGA mode & the console
Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2011 14:15:52
1 On 01/02/2011 03:57 PM, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
2 > Nikos Chantziaras<realnc@×××××.de> [11-01-02 14:12]:
3 >> On 01/02/2011 01:28 PM, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
4 >>> Hi,
5 >>>
6 >>> there is a "small" linux distribution (GRML), which I use for rescue
7 >>> and other purposes. I installed it on a USB-stick.
8 >>>
9 >>> Furthermore installed in my PC there is a MSI GT430 (nvidia) graphics
10 >>> card and I use the nvidia-driver in conjunction with xorg 1.9.2.
11 >>>
12 >>> So far so nice...
13 >>>
14 >>> The GRML uses the noveau driver as far as I know.
15 >>>
16 >>> When I boot from my USB-stick I get a very nice high resolution
17 >>> linux console. It uses vga=791 on the kernel commandline.
18 >>
19 >> Nouveau uses KMS, which means it automatically uses the monitor's
20 >> native resolution and supports all resolutions the graphics card is
21 >> capable of.
22 >>
23 >> On your PC, you're using the VESA fb driver, not Nouveau KMS. That
24 >> means you're limited to VESA resolutions for your consoles. You can
25 >> use the "vbetest" utility to detect which modes your card's VESA BIOS
26 >> supports. To use this tool, emerge the "sys-libs/lrmi" package.
27 >> Simply run the tool and it will print a list of modes you can use, and
28 >> the resolutions those modes correspond to.
29 >>
30 >> If your desired resolution is not in the list, then there's no way to
31 >> use that resolution in a VESA fb; you will need to switch to Nouveau's
32 >> KMS fb.
36 > Hi Nikos,
37 >
38 > unfortunately lrmi fails to compile.
39
40 You can boot an older Live CD (something like Ubuntu 9.x) that has this
41 tool. Run the tool there and save the output for future reference.