From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] from Firefox52: NO pure ALSA?, WAS: Firefox 49.0 & Youtube... Audio: No
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2016 13:18:08
1 On Sat, 17 Dec 2016 13:35:54 +0100, Heiko Baums wrote:
2
3 > Am 17.12.2016 um 09:53 schrieb Neil Bothwick:
4 > > On Sat, 17 Dec 2016 00:55:21 -0500, Walter Dnes wrote:
5 > >
6 > > Really, no one is forcing you to use anything. If you don't like the
7 > > way particular piece of software is going, you can get a full refund
8 > > and switch to something else.
9 >
10 > Not this argument again. It's the most stupid argument (of a lot of
11 > other stupid ones) which was give most frequently by Poettering and
12 > those Poettering fanboys from the beginning of this systemd crap until -
13 > seemingly - now.
14
15 So you don't have a choice?
16
17 > And yes, it is still crap. Unfortunately I am forced to using it,
18 > because there is no usable distro for the Raspberry Pi which does not
19 > use systemd. I again went into trouble with it, if it's only those
20 > crappy binary log files. It's of course not only the binary log files.
21
22 I'm running the Debian 7 version of Raspbian on a number of Pis, all
23 without systemd. Yes, I am happy using systemd, but I can't be arsed
24 changing them when they continue to work perfectly well.
25
26 > For some reason I couldn't boot the Pi anymore. What do you usually do
27 > in such a case? Right! You pull the sd card out of the Pi, mount it on
28 > another computer, and... bang! No log files can't be read, because they
29 > are binary and my Gentoo PC doesn't have systemd - for good reasons.
30
31 Boot from a live CD, like Ubuntu, and read the journals. There's always
32 a solution that doesn't involve flaming.
33
34 > Without this systemd crap, with the good old, very well tested system
35 > loggers I would have easily been able to read the the log files and to
36 > fix the problem.
37
38 When I first tried systemd, I wasn't confident of my ability to work
39 with the journal, so I installed syslog-ng and had traditional log files
40 alongside the journal. In fact I ran it like that for quite some because
41 the log monitor I was using didn't work with the journal.
42
43 > Regarding this really stupid decision of Mozilla's to only support
44 > PulseAudio...
45
46 > PulseAudio still doesn't work with (semi-)professional audio cards. It
47 > never did,
48
49 I don't use Firefox or semi-professional audio hardware, so I won't
50 comment on this.
51
52 > Just forgot to ask. Tell me how to easily get rid of systemd on - say -
53 > Arch Linux, Debian, OpenSUSE, Redhat, Fedora, Ubuntu and its
54 > derivatives. And how do I get rid of systemd on my Raspberry Pi?
55
56 With Debian, and Raspbian, just use version 7. It's Debian so it will be
57 supported for years to come. Or you could run Gentoo on your Pi.
58
59 > You said no one is forcing me to use this systemd crap.
60
61 They're not. You are assuming you have to use it because you don't see an
62 alternative.
63
64 > So tell me how I
65 > get a full refund for systemd and how to switch to something usable.
66
67 I've answered the latter, your refund is attached :)
68
69 > You said it's possible and easily done and I'm not forced to using it.
70
71 I never said it was easy.
75 Neil Bothwick
76
77 I am McCoy of Bo...Damnit! I'm a doctor, not a collective!