From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] vmware/xorg.conf issues
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 19:09:53
1 Well, nothing obvious is popping out at me, but see my comments inline
2 below...
3
4 Bill Roberts wrote:
5
6 >I am going NUTS trying to figure out how to make full-screen mode work
7 >properly in vmware-workstation 5.
8 >
9 >I can go into full-screen mode, but it looks like only half of the
10 >lines get drawn, so it's very ugly, impossible to read.
14 A major reason for this can be enabling framebuffer graphics in the
15 kernel. If you are using framebuffer graphics, try compiling a new
16 kernel with only text-mode console support. Full-screen vmware sessions
17 seem most reliable this way.
18
19 >I had beautiful screens in 4.5.2 which turned ugly at some point
20 >(don't know causal factor). I emerged 5, got beautiful screens again.
21 >
22 >I have been trying to get mplayer & hdtv working, so I've been playing
23 >around with xorg.conf a lot, and I guess I managed to break it. I think
24 >I need additional modelines to make vmware work properly, not sure how
25 >to get the right ones.
30 My guess is that this has nothing to do with the modelines, because on a
31 modern system with a DDC capable monitor, everything should be
32 autodetected. Specifically, double check your monitor section and try
33 commenting out any HorizSync or VertRefresh settings that you have.
34
35 >Oh, one other oddity. The vmware modules vmmon and vmnet which should
36 >be loaded by /etc/init.d/vmware in default mode, don't get loaded.
37 >Can't figure out why.
41 Explain a bit more please...are you saying the vmware init script runs
42 as part of your startup, but produces errors? You didn't by chance
43 accidentally replace this with the VMWare version, did you? The second
44 line of that script should say "Copyright ... Gentoo Foundation".
45
46 If this doesn't give you any ideas, I would like to see the device and
47 monitor sections from your xorg.conf file.
48
49 -Richard
52 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list