From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Rooted/compromised Gentoo, seeking advice
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 13:04:49
1 On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 6:18 PM, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On Mon, Aug 09, 2010 at 05:30:40PM -0700, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
4 > > On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 1:20 PM, Bill Longman <bill.longman@×××××.com>
5 > wrote:
6 > > > I actually prefer "sudo su -" -- as long as I'm giving it away! :o)
7 >
8 > Afaik, there is no reason for "sudo su -" It should be either
9 >
10 > su -
11 >
12 > or, if you are using sudo,
13 >
14 > sudo -i
15 >
16 > The disadvantage of "su -" is that it requires the user to know the root
17 > password. But, "sudo -i" does the same thing without requiring the user
18 > to know the root password.
19 >
20 > You either didn't think or didn't actually try it. "sudo su -" needs a
21 password, but it's the
22 user password. Running su as root never needs a password. Accordingly,
23 this works on
24 a stock Ubuntu with no root password.
25
26 "su -" requires the root password unless you're already root, and the root
27 password may or may not exist.
28
29 I didn't know about "sudo -i" (thanks), but when I tried "sudo -i" it
30 immediately asked for a password, for which
31 the user password was sufficient. So it's entirely equivalent to but
32 slightly shorter than my version. I'll stick with
33 mine because it's made of parts I already know and won't forget.
34
35 I think that if sudoers don't need to enter passwords, they're still
36 equivalent, but I have not tried this.
39 Kevin O'Gorman, PhD