From: Willie <matthews.willie@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] startx with multiple window managers
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2013 18:30:31
1 I just started another Xfce session by typing "startx -- :1". I am pretty
2 sure you can also use "startxfce4" without editing the file that you are
3 editing.
6 On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 10:39 AM, Randy Westlund <rwestlun@×××××.com> wrote:
7
8 > I'm looking for a better way to manage multiple WMs.
9 >
10 > I launch X with startx. I also use multiple window managers. I'm
11 > primarily on xmonad because I love tiling WMs, but I also keep xfce around
12 > for whever I developing a GUI or letting my fiancee use my machine. My
13 > procedure for starting multiple managers is this:
14 >
15 > - log in
16 > - startx
17 > - login on tty2
18 > - edit .xinitrc (shown below)
19 > - startx -- :1
20 >
21 > .xinitrc goes from:
22 >
23 > > exec xmonad
24 > > #exec startxfce4
25 >
26 > to:
27 > > #exec xmonad
28 > > exec startxfce4
29 >
30 > Then I can switch between tty7 and tty8 at will. Usually I don't start
31 > xfce at all, but for the times when I do, I'd be nice to do this without
32 > editing a file. Can I simplify this process? Is there anyone else who
33 > uses multiple WMs? How do you manage them?
34 >
35 > Randy
42 Willie Matthews
43 matthews.willie@×××××.com