From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Get off my lawn?
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2015 20:05:17
1 On 2015-01-17, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 >> OTOH I suspect most of us here starting computing with punched cards ...
4 >
5 > Actually, I started with OMR IBM cards where you marked them in
6 > pencil. You sent your deck off to the University for scanning and
7 > running, and week later you got your results. At least I think they
8 > were IBM. They were the same form factor as regular IBM punch cards.
9 > IIRC, each logical column had two physical columns for marks. You put
10 > two marks in each _logical_ column which selected the symbol _between_
11 > the marks. Something like this:
12 >
13 > [ ]A[ ]
14 > 0 P
15 > [ ]B[ ]
16 > 1 Q
17 > [ ]C[ ]
18
19 I think this page from an IBM 3505 card reader manual shows the
20 physical spec for the OMR cards I remember, but it doesn't any
21 semantics:
22
23 http://www.panix.com/~grante/files/IBM-3505-OMRcard.pdf
24
25 That shows 40 columns of 12 OMR cells, and at two columns of cells per
26 symbol, that would only be 20 logical columns.
27
28 If there were symbols only in the spaces between OMR cells, that would
29 be 11 + 11 + 12 = 34 symbols. That's not enough to write FORTRAN IV.
30
31 So, there must have been symbols _in_ each of the cells that you could
32 select by marking a single cell. That would add 24 more symbols for a
33 total of 56, _which_ would be enough.
34
35 Google found me this picture showing semantics for what looks like the
36 same physical IBM OMR card, but I don't think it's the layout I
37 remember using:
38
39 http://www.panix.com/~grante/files/IBM-OMRcard.jpg
40
41 It could be that the layout I remember using was something local to
42 the University where we sent the cards to be run...
45 Grant