From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Get off my lawn?
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2015 19:23:41
1 On 2015-01-17, Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net> wrote:
2 > 150116 walt wrote:
3 >> I'd love to see a bar-chart of the age distribution of gentoo devs
4 >> & compare it to a chart of the people who hang out in this mailing list :)
5 >
6 > New devs usually seem to describe themselves as
7 > "I live in a town in Germany with my wife & 2-year-old daughter ;
8 > I am finishing my MSc in computer science ;
9 > my hobbies are playing the guitar & riding my mountain bike".
10 >
11 > OTOH I suspect most of us here starting computing with punched cards ...
12
13 Actually, I started with OMR IBM cards where you marked them in
14 pencil. You sent your deck off to the University for scanning and
15 running, and week later you got your results. At least I think they
16 were IBM. They were the same form factor as regular IBM punch cards.
17 IIRC, each logical column had two physical columns for marks. You put
18 two marks in each _logical_ column which selected the symbol _between_
19 the marks. Something like this:
20
21 [ ]A[ ]
22 0 P
23 [ ]B[ ]
24 1 Q
25 [ ]C[ ]
26 2 R
27 [ ]D[ ]<---
28 3 S Mark these two for 'S'
29 [ ]E[ ]<---
30 .
31 .
32 .
33 [ ]J[ ]
34 9 Y
35 [ ]K[ ]
36 * Z
37 [ ]L[ ]
38 / )
39 [ ]M[ ]
40 + (
41 [ ]N[ ]
42 - .
43 [ ]O[ ]
44 | |
45 | |
46 +---+---- Mark these two for 'O'
49 Oviously I left out some punction characters that would have been
50 required. IIRC, you only got about logical 40 columns per card.
51
52 Anybody else remember those cards? I can't find the right set of
53 keywords in Google to find a picture.
54
55 It wasn't until years later that I graduated to punched cards (Woot!
56 80 columns) and paper-tape (Woot! light machine all over everything
57 else in your backpack.)
60 Grant