From: Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Can I share my /boot and swap partitions with other Linux installs?
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2007 07:32:35
1 On Monday 02 April 2007, Alexander Skwar wrote:
2 > Daevid Vincent <daevid@××××××.com> wrote:
3 > > Can I install Ubuntu in yet another partition and have it share the
4 > > /boot and swap ones I already have, or do I need dedicated ones for
5 > > that distro too?
6 >
7 > No, you don't NEED to have seperate /boot partitions. The problem
8 > might be, that the default filenames "overlap" in Gentoo and Ubuntu.
9 > But if you make sure that this does not happen and if you setup
10 > your bootloader (grub?) "properly", then all is fine.
11
12 I routinely set up machines for colleagues as triple-boot (Red Hat,
13 Ubuntu, XP), and it's the easiest thing in the world. /boot is really
14 just a convenient place to put kernel images and grub.conf where grub
15 can find them at boot time.
16
17 There is a very slim outside chance that two distros might use the same
18 name for a kernel, and one clobbers the other. If you want to avoid
19 this, create /boot/ubuntu and /boot/redhat (adjust as appropriate), and
20 let the distros install kernels into /boot. Then manually move them to
21 the correct subdirectory and adjust the "kernel" and "initrd" entries
22 in grub.conf to reflect the new path.
23
24 Or you could just rename the kernel, config, initrd and System.map files
25 by appending the distro name. There are many possible schemes, so use
26 whatever floats your boat.
27
28 To save yourself much pain and grief, use one distro to install and
29 maintain grub/lilo, and install the other distro *without* a boot
30 loader. No distro requires a boot loader to work, as long as you have
31 one that can find and load a kernel image, it all works out
32
33 alan
37 Optimists say the glass is half full,
38 Pessimists say the glass is half empty,
39 Developers say wtf is the glass twice as big as it needs to be?
40
41 Alan McKinnon
42 alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za
43 +27 82, double three seven, one nine three five
44 --
45 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list