From: Shawn Haggett <podge@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] DMZ on an vmware gentoo guest running on winXP host
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 16:31:03
1 reader@×××××××.com wrote:
2 > Setup:
3 > Home Lan with principle desktop machine running Gentoo.
4 > Three other machines running WinXP that are a trio of video and sound
5 > editing machines. And finally my wifes WinXP machine in antoher room.
6 > All connected by Gigabit lan thru a netgear FVP318 router/firewall.
7 >
8 > I want to begin scanning thru the traffic that bounces off my
9 > router/firewall.
10 >
11 > The router logs themselves are in a bad cumbersom format. And if I
12 > use an available option to output them to a lan System logger the
13 > information is greatly truncated and nearly useless.
14 >
15 > Router logs can be emailed but again they are cumbersom and clunky.
16 > That how I currently look through them.
17 >
18 > So cutting to the chase, I don't want to even mess around with those
19 > methods. Been there done that... didn't like it.
20 >
21 > The router has an option to route traffic to a DMZ machine. In the
22 > past when I got this same urge 2 or so years ago I setup an Openbsd
23 > OS on an older PC. Buttoned it down what little I knew to do and had
24 > lots of fun with incoming traffic.... I mean just studying and being
25 > amazed etc.
26 >
27 > I want to do that again but don't have that old machine anymore and
28 > don't want the unfamiliar hassle of relearning whatever I knew about
29 > OpenBSD.
30 >
31 > I don't want the hassle of hardening my main desktop... preferring to
32 > keep it pretty loose behind the firewall. Running a lan webserver and
33 > the like.
34 >
35 > I wondered if any of the security buffs here could tell me if a vmware
36 > gentoo guest running on one of the winXP boxes could be setup to have
37 > an independant tap on the Firewall as DMZ and not be offering every
38 > hack whiz out there a shot at my home lan.
39 >
40 > As I remember you can setup vmware with its own network address, not
41 > sharing its hosts address to some degree.
42
43 Yes, vmware allows you to run it in bridged mode for networking. This
44 means that while you just have the one physical network card, it appears
45 from the point of view of the rest of the network to be two devices,
46 with different MAC addresses and IP address.
47
48 > But I wondered.., since any traffic is really going thru that WinXP
49 > hosts nic one way or another if it would be as safe as a truly
50 > independant host with its own ethernet wire to the router. (which is
51 > switched).
52
53 I'm not a security expert, but my gut feeling here is that it *should*
54 be fine. The windows host should never really "see" the traffic, beyond
55 the driver level I suspect, as the driver will see the packet has a
56 different MAC address on it, and pass it to vmware to deal with. Of
57 course that's not to say some specially crafted packet couldn't exist to
58 break this. Or that if they can exploit your vmware machine, they might
59 some how from there exploit vmware itself and then execute code on the
60 windows machine. Depends how paranoid you want to be...
61
62 > Would I likely be opening my lan up for some christmas shopping by
63 > having a gentoo guest on a WinXP host running as a DMZ machine?
64 > It would be pretty barebones with a IPTABLE setup for logging and
65 > tagging or whatever I get interested in doing with the traffic.
66 >
67 > No X server or other frills.
68
69 Just to make sure here, the only traffic that is going to arrive at the
70 DMZ host will be inbound packets that aren't routed to another host (due
71 to port forwarding or PnP rules). Traffic between the other machines and
72 the internet will NEVER be seen, since it will travel from that machine
73 straight to the router, and return packets will go straight back to that
74 machine, not the DMZ system.
75
76 If all your wanting to do is see what people are doorknocking on your
77 system (like the people that keep trying to guess passwords for my ssh
78 server), then this should work.
79
80 Shawn
81 --