From: reader@×××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] DMZ on an vmware gentoo guest running on winXP host
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 06:56:50
1 Setup:
2 Home Lan with principle desktop machine running Gentoo.
3 Three other machines running WinXP that are a trio of video and sound
4 editing machines. And finally my wifes WinXP machine in antoher room.
5 All connected by Gigabit lan thru a netgear FVP318 router/firewall.
6
7 I want to begin scanning thru the traffic that bounces off my
8 router/firewall.
9
10 The router logs themselves are in a bad cumbersom format. And if I
11 use an available option to output them to a lan System logger the
12 information is greatly truncated and nearly useless.
13
14 Router logs can be emailed but again they are cumbersom and clunky.
15 That how I currently look through them.
16
17 So cutting to the chase, I don't want to even mess around with those
18 methods. Been there done that... didn't like it.
19
20 The router has an option to route traffic to a DMZ machine. In the
21 past when I got this same urge 2 or so years ago I setup an Openbsd
22 OS on an older PC. Buttoned it down what little I knew to do and had
23 lots of fun with incoming traffic.... I mean just studying and being
24 amazed etc.
25
26 I want to do that again but don't have that old machine anymore and
27 don't want the unfamiliar hassle of relearning whatever I knew about
28 OpenBSD.
29
30 I don't want the hassle of hardening my main desktop... preferring to
31 keep it pretty loose behind the firewall. Running a lan webserver and
32 the like.
33
34 I wondered if any of the security buffs here could tell me if a vmware
35 gentoo guest running on one of the winXP boxes could be setup to have
36 an independant tap on the Firewall as DMZ and not be offering every
37 hack whiz out there a shot at my home lan.
38
39 As I remember you can setup vmware with its own network address, not
40 sharing its hosts address to some degree.
41
42 But I wondered.., since any traffic is really going thru that WinXP
43 hosts nic one way or another if it would be as safe as a truly
44 independant host with its own ethernet wire to the router. (which is
45 switched).
46
47 Would I likely be opening my lan up for some christmas shopping by
48 having a gentoo guest on a WinXP host running as a DMZ machine?
49 It would be pretty barebones with a IPTABLE setup for logging and
50 tagging or whatever I get interested in doing with the traffic.
51
52 No X server or other frills.
55 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list