From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] DMZ on an vmware gentoo guest running on winXP host
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 10:37:29
1 On Thursday 13 December 2007, reader@×××××××.com wrote:
2 > Setup:
3 > Home Lan with principle desktop machine running Gentoo.
4 > Three other machines running WinXP that are a trio of video and sound
5 > editing machines. And finally my wifes WinXP machine in antoher room.
6 > All connected by Gigabit lan thru a netgear FVP318 router/firewall.
7 >
8 > I want to begin scanning thru the traffic that bounces off my
9 > router/firewall.
10 >
11 > The router logs themselves are in a bad cumbersom format. And if I
12 > use an available option to output them to a lan System logger the
13 > information is greatly truncated and nearly useless.
14 >
15 > Router logs can be emailed but again they are cumbersom and clunky.
16 > That how I currently look through them.
17 >
18 > So cutting to the chase, I don't want to even mess around with those
19 > methods. Been there done that... didn't like it.
20 >
21 > The router has an option to route traffic to a DMZ machine. In the
22 > past when I got this same urge 2 or so years ago I setup an Openbsd
23 > OS on an older PC. Buttoned it down what little I knew to do and had
24 > lots of fun with incoming traffic.... I mean just studying and being
25 > amazed etc.
26 >
27 > I want to do that again but don't have that old machine anymore and
28 > don't want the unfamiliar hassle of relearning whatever I knew about
29 > OpenBSD.
30 >
31 > I don't want the hassle of hardening my main desktop... preferring to
32 > keep it pretty loose behind the firewall. Running a lan webserver and
33 > the like.
34 >
35 > I wondered if any of the security buffs here could tell me if a vmware
36 > gentoo guest running on one of the winXP boxes could be setup to have
37 > an independant tap on the Firewall as DMZ and not be offering every
38 > hack whiz out there a shot at my home lan.
39 >
40 > As I remember you can setup vmware with its own network address, not
41 > sharing its hosts address to some degree.
42 >
43 > But I wondered.., since any traffic is really going thru that WinXP
44 > hosts nic one way or another if it would be as safe as a truly
45 > independant host with its own ethernet wire to the router. (which is
46 > switched).
47 >
48 > Would I likely be opening my lan up for some christmas shopping by
49 > having a gentoo guest on a WinXP host running as a DMZ machine?
50 > It would be pretty barebones with a IPTABLE setup for logging and
51 > tagging or whatever I get interested in doing with the traffic.
52 >
53 > No X server or other frills.
54
55 A rather simpler solution to do this would be to get hold of hub, connect it
56 to the firewall and watch everything that passes through it.
57 --
58 Regards,
59 Mick