From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] kernel notification of file system changes
Date: Wed, 05 May 2010 23:26:49
1 On Wed, 2010-05-05 at 17:02 +0200, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
2
3 > Might be I've just asked a similar question on the ZSH mailing list.
4 > Please have a look at inotifywatch from the sys-fs/inotify-tools
5 > package. It can watch a directory tree recursively.
6
7 it does look interesting, thanks. I would still run into the directory
8 limit if I wanted to watch something large like /
9
10 $ sudo find / -xdev -type d | wc -l
11 71168
12
13 "...The default maximum is 8192; it can be increased by writing
14 to /proc/sys/fs/inotify/max_user_watches."
15
16 but it's an angle to follow. I wonder how max_user_watches would handle
17 being 100k or more... no doubt you just need some RAM?!
18
19 thanks,
23 <drobbins> we should send him a commemorative gentoo crack pipe for all
24 his contributions to this project