From: Helmut Jarausch <jarausch@××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] kernel notification of file system changes
Date: Wed, 05 May 2010 15:03:29
1 On 5 May, Iain Buchanan wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I'm looking for some kernel-based notification of changes to my file
5 > system. I've been looking at inotify, but it's not exactly what I want.
6 >
7 > Basically I want to know if _any_ write occurs anywhere. I don't want
8 > to register a whole bunch of files to watch, I just want to watch an
9 > entire mount. When a file is changed (ie. a write operation occurs), I
10 > then want to add that file or fd to a list in RAM. That's all.
11 >
12 > I know this may be a lot of data, considering streams and devices, but I
13 > can filter out /dev, /proc, etc. and just focus on "real" files.
14 >
15 > Is there anything that can do this?
18 Might be I've just asked a similar question on the ZSH mailing list.
19 Please have a look at inotifywatch from the sys-fs/inotify-tools
20 package. It can watch a directory tree recursively.
21
22 I hope this helps,
23 Helmut.