From: Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Are "push" backups flawed?
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2011 19:45:18
1 Am 13.11.2011 19:03, schrieb Grant:
2 >>>> And if I pull, none of my backed-up systems are secure because anyone
3 >>>> who breaks into the backup server has root read privileges on every
4 >>>> backed-up system and will thereby "gain full root privileges quickly."
5 >>>
6 >>> IMO that depends on whether you also backup the authentication-related
7 >>> files or not. Exclude them from backup, ensure different root passwords
8 >>> for all boxes, and now you can limit the infiltration.
9 >>
10 >> If you're pulling to the backup server, that backup server has to be
11 >> able to log in to and read all files on the other servers. Including
12 >> e.g. your swap partition and device files.
13 >
14 > What if I have each system save a copy of everything to be backed up
15 > from its own filesystem in a separate directory and change the
16 > ownership of everything in that directory so it can be read by an
17 > unprivileged backup user? Then I could have the backup server pull
18 > that copy from each system without giving it root access to each
19 > system. Can I somehow have the correct ownerships for the backup
20 > saved in a separate file for use during a restore?
21 >
22 > - Grant
25 You could just as well use an NFS share with no_root_squash. It is
26 really more a question of finding the right combination of tools to
27 ensure proper separation of concern for server and client.
28
29 In fact, I think we are intermixing three distinct problems:
30 1. (Possible) limitations of rdiff-backup with regard to untrusted
31 backup servers or clients.
32 2. The purely technical question which file transfer protocols protect
33 against write access from backup server to backup client and backup
34 client to older backups on the server.
35 3. The more or less organisational question what level of protection
36 backups need and how fast security breaks have to be detected.
37
38 I think push vs. pull is just a secondary concern with regard to the
39 second question and has practically no relevance to the third one.
40
41 Regards,
42 Florian Philipp