From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Are "push" backups flawed?
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 00:44:56
1 >>>>> And if I pull, none of my backed-up systems are secure because anyone
2 >>>>> who breaks into the backup server has root read privileges on every
3 >>>>> backed-up system and will thereby "gain full root privileges quickly."
4 >>>>
5 >>>> IMO that depends on whether you also backup the authentication-related
6 >>>> files or not. Exclude them from backup, ensure different root passwords
7 >>>> for all boxes, and now you can limit the infiltration.
8 >>>
9 >>> If you're pulling to the backup server, that backup server has to be
10 >>> able to log in to and read all files on the other servers. Including
11 >>> e.g. your swap partition and device files.
12 >>
13 >> What if I have each system save a copy of everything to be backed up
14 >> from its own filesystem in a separate directory and change the
15 >> ownership of everything in that directory so it can be read by an
16 >> unprivileged backup user?  Then I could have the backup server pull
17 >> that copy from each system without giving it root access to each
18 >> system.  Can I somehow have the correct ownerships for the backup
19 >> saved in a separate file for use during a restore?
20 >>
21 >> - Grant
24 > You could just as well use an NFS share with no_root_squash. It is
25 > really more a question of finding the right combination of tools to
26 > ensure proper separation of concern for server and client.
27 >
28 > In fact, I think we are intermixing three distinct problems:
29 > 1. (Possible) limitations of rdiff-backup with regard to untrusted
30 > backup servers or clients.
31
32 The limitation is real unfortunately. All backups created by
33 rdiff-backup more than a second ago can be deleted something like
34 this:
35
36 rdiff-backup --remove-older-than 1s backup@12.34.56.78::/path/to/backup
37
38 > 2. The purely technical question which file transfer protocols protect
39 > against write access from backup server to backup client and backup
40 > client to older backups on the server.
41
42 rdiff-backup doesn't provide those sort of protections. Do any file
43 transfer protocols?
44
45 > 3. The more or less organisational question what level of protection
46 > backups need and how fast security breaks have to be detected.
47
48 I think backups should be very well protected and security breaks
49 should not have to be immediately detected.
50
51 - Grant
54 > I think push vs. pull is just a secondary concern with regard to the
55 > second question and has practically no relevance to the third one.
56 >
57 > Regards,
58 > Florian Philipp