From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] dual-linuxdistro-boot kernel question
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 15:17:27
1 Russell Slater schreef:
2 > Couldn't you place both kernels in /boot with different names and
3 > leverage grub to load the approriate one?
4
5 Yes. Afaik, this is the 'traditional' method, both within a single
6 distro with multiple kernel versions, and with multiple distros that
7 each have a single kernel.
8
9 If you originally set up both distros to point to the same external
10 partition as /boot, then there is no problem, as the kernels will both
11 be installed to the same /boot partition, and will most likely have
12 different names by default.
13
14 If, like me, you installed one distro with /boot as just a folder on the
15 / partition, then installed the second using a separate partition as
16 /boot, then you likely have to do what I did and copy one kernel (and
17 associated files) to the /boot of the distro whose bootloader you're
18 using, but of course, if you have to do that, you can easily rename the
19 copied kernel to something unique, if for some reason it isn't already
20 uniquely named.
21
22 Edit your bootloader config, and you're done.
23
24 Holly
25 --
26 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list