From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] tar a brand new Gentoo install to a USB drive for safe keeping?
Date: Mon, 05 May 2008 01:21:32
1 On Sun, May 4, 2008 at 5:41 PM, Mark Shields <laebshade@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Look into what's called a "stage 4 backup":
4 > http://blinkeye.ch/mediawiki/index.php/GNU/Linux_System_Backup_Script_(stage4)
5 >
6 > I've had to actually use it once, and it worked fine. It already excludes
7 > the appropriate files:
8 >
9 > /dev
10 > /lost+found
11 > /mnt
12 > /proc
13 > /sys
14 > /tmp
15 > /usr/portage
16 > /usr/src
17 > /var/log
18 > /var/tmp
19 >
20 > /var/db
21 > /var/cache/edb
22 >
23 > It doesn't back up the MBR or the partition tables (primary or logical),
24 > though you could edit the script to do that.
25 >
26 > --
27 > - Mark Shields
28
29 Thanks Mark. That looks interesting.
30
31 I'm not clear about the process of actually making the backup. This
32 get run on a live file system? I suppose the things it excludes if it
33 does are the things that might be changing?
34
35 - Mark
36 --
37 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list