From: Mark Shields <laebshade@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] tar a brand new Gentoo install to a USB drive for safe keeping?
Date: Mon, 05 May 2008 00:45:50
1 On Sun, May 4, 2008 at 7:12 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > On Sun, May 4, 2008 at 8:25 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > > Jil & Neil,
5 > > Thanks for the really great information! I'm going to give this a try
6 > today.
7 > >
8 > > It strikes me that to test my backup I could create a chroot on the
9 > > very system I'm backing up. (Or some other system.) I follow the
10 > > procedure we're outlining here using the install CD and when it's done
11 > > I reboot the system, create a few small partitions in some extra disk
12 > > space, untar the files, chroot into that environment, run some
13 > > commands to test things, and then put the tar'ed files away for safe
14 > > keeping feeling pretty good that everything is where I need it should
15 > > the worst happen.
16 > >
17 > > Again, thanks for the info. I do appreciate it.
18 > >
19 > > Cheers,
20 > > Mark
23 > Hi all,
24 > So I'm working on this and ran into a couple of questions about tar.
25 >
26 > 1) I'm having trouble figuring how to best run tar. I end up with
27 > files at the wrong level every time so far.
28 >
29 > Assume I first mount a partition that's empty, and then mount a
30 > partition I want to save that contains a number of system directories
31 > - /, tmp, etc. lib, mnt and others:
32 >
33 > mount /dev/sda8 /mnt/gentoo [[ This is empty except for a mount
34 > point called TarPoint ]]
35 > cd /mnt/gentoo
36 > mount /dev/sda5 TarPoint [[ The partition I want to backup ]]
37 >
38 > Now I can see all my directories under TarPoint. What's the best way
39 > to run tar, creating a file called SYSTEM.tar.bz2 in /mnt/gentoo, so
40 > that later, when I have an empty partition on a different hard drive
41 > (hda) where I'm going to restore the system, I can do this
42 >
43 > mount /dev/hda11 /mnt/gentoo
44 > cd /mnt/gentoo
45 > scp mark@server:SYSTEM.tar.bz2 .
46 > tar xvfp SYSTEM.tar.bz2
47 >
48 > and I get the system directory hierarchy back again.
49 >
50 > 2) This laptop is a dual boot machine so the system clock is set to
51 > local when I'm in my Gentoo environment. When I drop into the install
52 > CD I presume it's set to UTC as is the standard. My question has to do
53 > with any requirements to setting time prior to making the tar ball or
54 > untarring to build the environment.
55 >
56 > What I'm seeing is that the command
57 >
58 > tar xcjf SYSTEM.tar.bz2
59 >
60 > generates lots of messages about file times being in the future. Maybe
61 > this won't matter if I use the backup later than 8 hours from the time
62 > I make it but in the short term will it cause any problems?
63 >
64 > Thanks,
65 > Mark
66 > --
67 > gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list
70 Look into what's called a "stage 4 backup":
71 http://blinkeye.ch/mediawiki/index.php/GNU/Linux_System_Backup_Script_(stage4)
72
73 I've had to actually use it once, and it worked fine. It already excludes
74 the appropriate files:
75
76 /dev
77 /lost+found
78 /mnt
79 /proc
80 /sys
81 /tmp
82 /usr/portage
83 /usr/src
84 /var/log
85 /var/tmp
86 /var/db
87 /var/cache/edb
88
89 It doesn't back up the MBR or the partition tables (primary or logical),
90 though you could edit the script to do that.
93 - Mark Shields