From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] tar a brand new Gentoo install to a USB drive for safe keeping?
Date: Sun, 04 May 2008 23:42:27
1 On Sun, May 4, 2008 at 8:25 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Jil & Neil,
3 > Thanks for the really great information! I'm going to give this a try today.
4 >
5 > It strikes me that to test my backup I could create a chroot on the
6 > very system I'm backing up. (Or some other system.) I follow the
7 > procedure we're outlining here using the install CD and when it's done
8 > I reboot the system, create a few small partitions in some extra disk
9 > space, untar the files, chroot into that environment, run some
10 > commands to test things, and then put the tar'ed files away for safe
11 > keeping feeling pretty good that everything is where I need it should
12 > the worst happen.
13 >
14 > Again, thanks for the info. I do appreciate it.
15 >
16 > Cheers,
17 > Mark
20 Hi all,
21 So I'm working on this and ran into a couple of questions about tar.
22
23 1) I'm having trouble figuring how to best run tar. I end up with
24 files at the wrong level every time so far.
25
26 Assume I first mount a partition that's empty, and then mount a
27 partition I want to save that contains a number of system directories
28 - /, tmp, etc. lib, mnt and others:
29
30 mount /dev/sda8 /mnt/gentoo [[ This is empty except for a mount
31 point called TarPoint ]]
32 cd /mnt/gentoo
33 mount /dev/sda5 TarPoint [[ The partition I want to backup ]]
34
35 Now I can see all my directories under TarPoint. What's the best way
36 to run tar, creating a file called SYSTEM.tar.bz2 in /mnt/gentoo, so
37 that later, when I have an empty partition on a different hard drive
38 (hda) where I'm going to restore the system, I can do this
39
40 mount /dev/hda11 /mnt/gentoo
41 cd /mnt/gentoo
42 scp mark@server:SYSTEM.tar.bz2 .
43 tar xvfp SYSTEM.tar.bz2
44
45 and I get the system directory hierarchy back again.
46
47 2) This laptop is a dual boot machine so the system clock is set to
48 local when I'm in my Gentoo environment. When I drop into the install
49 CD I presume it's set to UTC as is the standard. My question has to do
50 with any requirements to setting time prior to making the tar ball or
51 untarring to build the environment.
52
53 What I'm seeing is that the command
54
55 tar xcjf SYSTEM.tar.bz2
56
57 generates lots of messages about file times being in the future. Maybe
58 this won't matter if I use the backup later than 8 hours from the time
59 I make it but in the short term will it cause any problems?
60
61 Thanks,
62 Mark
63 --