From: shawn wilson <ag4ve.us@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Linux viruses
Date: Sat, 06 Jul 2013 11:33:47
1 I was present for a discussion about which is the most secure OS. I don't
2 remember the forum but the consensus was that the most secure OS is the one
3 you know. Anyone can wreck a system but not everyone has the ability to
4 maintain a system.
5
6 I'm not arguing that you can run Windows as tight as Linux (no SELinux,
7 tripwire costs $, etc). What I'm saying is if someone doesn't know Windows
8 they'll do more harm than good. (same Linux).
9
10 You can probably grep through a virus definition db and find an OS field.
11 Probably ClamAV is your best bet here (but any may work). There's also a
12 50+ gig torrent of all known viruses you can look for. You could also
13 figure out how to query vulns for the OS they're on (mitre or NIST) -
14 probably hard.
15
16 Reversing - as mentioned above, get a hex editor, and use strings. The
17 other option is that it could have debug symbols still.
18
19 Indicator lights is a piss poor way to see anything about what might be
20 running. It's like looking at the hdd light to see how much your computer
21 is processing.
22
23 Ps - the software you're talking about is Windows.