From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Linux viruses
Date: Sat, 06 Jul 2013 09:21:19
1 On Saturday 06 Jul 2013 07:57:38 the wrote:
2 > On 07/06/13 02:21, Dale wrote:
3 > > William Kenworthy wrote:
4 > >> On 06/07/13 04:12, Dale wrote:
5
6 > >>> While we was
7 > >>> chatting, he said that Linux is just as prone to getting a virus as
8 > >>> windoze and so is a Mac. I think my laughing let him know I wasn't
9 > >>> buying his comment.
10
11 Well this is just FUD. Linux and BSDs are much much less prone to virus
12 infection due to their architecture and default authentication restrictions.
13 Also your average Linux user, well at least your average Linux desktop user is
14 more clued up than the MSWindows equivalent. With the advent of Linux to
15 mobile devices (Android) this statement is no longer true.
18 > >> food for thought - some years back a member of the local lug picked up
19 > >> that something was listening on a port that he didn't think should be in
20 > >> use. Turned out to be an infected windows binary running under wine ...
21 > >>
22 > >> I presume he had been using wine and this was left running, rather than
23 > >> self starting.
24 > >>
25 > >> BillK
26 > >
27 > > Well, no Wine here. So that won't happen. Actually, I don't have a
28 > > copy of windoze here at all. Neither of my two rigs have ever had
29 > > windoze installed on them at all.
30
31 I'm sure some poster in 2003/04 posted in this same list about a MSWindows
32 malware running in Wine. That's indication of good code as far as I'm
33 concerned, because most MSWindows programs that I tried would fall over
34 themselves in Wine! LOL!
37 > > BTW, I have been known to open those attachments before. I usually open
38 > > them with kwrite or something and try to see what is human readable in
39 > > there. Most is machine language but there is usually a small portion
40 > > that is human readable. They sent it and I'm nosy that way. lol
41 >
42 > Perhaps it's easier to use strings?
43
44 hexdump -C <suspect_payload>
45
46 You may have to unzip it first, because a lot of malware is zipped to escape
47 detection from some simpler anti-virus checkers. You can also use dd and pipe
48 it to an antivirus to see if it finds anything known.
49
50 All OS are susceptible to malware, but not all malware are viruses. At least
51 one virus has existed for Linux (in the 90s or early 00s), but it was patched
52 overnight if I remember right. Other than that I don't know of any programs
53 which can be replicated on Linux machines. I think this is because despite
54 Lennart's efforts no two linux OS are exactly the same. So, as the virus is
55 trying to replicate itself it will fall down at the next box it tries to
56 infect.
57
58 However, rogue add-ons in browsers, increasingly sophisticated JavaScripts,
59 and HTML 5 with all its cross-domain/cross-site-request potential could wreck
60 at least some of your data and steal your information, just as easily as the
61 adjacent MSWindows box. Oh, before I forget, did I mention Java?
62
63 Linux running on mobile devices is a different category because there is great
64 uniformity of the OS across devices. This is a big target for any malware
65 writers and state actors who value their coding time:
66
67 http://techcrunch.com/2013/07/04/android-security-hole/
70 Regards,
71 Mick