From: the <the.guard@××××.ru>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Linux viruses
Date: Sat, 06 Jul 2013 06:57:35
1 On 07/06/13 02:21, Dale wrote:
2 > William Kenworthy wrote:
3 >> On 06/07/13 04:12, Dale wrote:
4 >>> I had a interesting adventure the other day. A friend of mine's son is
5 >>> getting ready to go to college. Budget is tight so we went to find a
6 >>> used laptop for him. I went into the local puter shop and the techie
7 >>> guy there had a interesting statement that makes me think I'm not
8 >>> recommending them for computer service to anyone else. While we was
9 >>> chatting, he said that Linux is just as prone to getting a virus as
10 >>> windoze and so is a Mac. I think my laughing let him know I wasn't
11 >>> buying his comment.
12 >>>
13 >>> I since did some googling and it seems I am right and he just thought I
14 >>> was some know nothing guy he could sell some service too. Anyway, has
15 >>> anything changed to make Linux more prone to viruses than it used to
16 >>> be? I read a percentage somewhere that said like 99% of viruses are
17 >>> windoze only. Is there a indisputable source of information on this?
18 >>>
19 >>> Thanks.
20 >>>
21 >>> Dale
22 >>>
23 >>> :-) :-)
24 >>>
25 >> food for thought - some years back a member of the local lug picked up
26 >> that something was listening on a port that he didn't think should be in
27 >> use. Turned out to be an infected windows binary running under wine ...
28 >>
29 >> I presume he had been using wine and this was left running, rather than
30 >> self starting.
31 >>
32 >> BillK
37 > Well, no Wine here. So that won't happen. Actually, I don't have a
38 > copy of windoze here at all. Neither of my two rigs have ever had
39 > windoze installed on them at all.
40 >
41 > BTW, I have been known to open those attachments before. I usually open
42 > them with kwrite or something and try to see what is human readable in
43 > there. Most is machine language but there is usually a small portion
44 > that is human readable. They sent it and I'm nosy that way. lol
45
46 Perhaps it's easier to use strings?
50 Stop talking and start compiling.
51 Linux user #557897