From: reader@×××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] [OT] private files
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 19:00:51
1 Hoping some of you may know the ins and outs of somekind of privacy
2 precautions for files on disk with such things as software reg keys,
3 passwrds to various stuff, and stupidly... credit card numbers etc.
4
5 I'm on a single user machine so the threat is from network more than
6 console. Also I keep backup copies on a remote machine that I don't
7 control and is part of the big bad internet.
8
9 I've visualized something that somehow encrypts a directory or
10 several. But in a handy way where it can be opened and used several
11 times daily without bringing a lunch.
12
13 I thought since I'm well familiar with tar and gzip it might be
14 something to tar.gz the directories and encrypt the result. Deleting
15 the source.
16
17 But I'm hoping there may be stuff even easier and less time intensive.
18
19 The amount of data is under 10 mb always and in fact stands around
20 1.6mb at present.
21
22 I looked a bit at BestCrypt but decided its a big poorly documented
23 pain in the butt. Needs kernel mods etc etc.
24
25 I wondered if something as simple as passworded rar files might fill
26 the bill.
27
28 What options are out there?
31 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list