From: Crayon Shin Chan <crayon.shin.chan.uk@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Notebook/laptop recommendations?
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 05:16:48
1 On Monday 23 July 2007 23:14, Mick wrote:
2
3 > If your local Dell distributor can't/won't get it for you, can't you
4 > import it from the US? Of course, it may take a tad longer to arrive
5 > and you will have to pay some import tax.
6
7 I had been considering the Inspiron 1520 which I believe is (or will be)
8 available in Linux versions. But the waiting time is approximately a
9 month - too long - prices can change (go down) a fair bit in a month.
10
11 Another model I considered was the Aspire 5572AWXMI which is apparently
12 discontinued but had been available from some SE Asia outlets
13 pre-installed with Linpus so driver compatibility shouldn't be a problem.
14
15 In the end I went for a Thinkpad Z61. I've yet to install gentoo on it -
16 still cleaning the windoze partition, removing useless programs and
17 shrinking/backup the partition etc. But I've tried a number of livecds
18 and all the major components are supported (wifi, cardreader, usb, lan,
19 video, pc card, modem, sound, bluetooth). The only thing I'm not sure
20 about is the IEEE1394, I don't have any devices to test it, but dmesg
21 reports it's "working".
24 Crayon
25 --
26 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list