From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: DVD->mp4 - handbrake vs something else
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2011 02:55:12
1 On 2011-11-01, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 11:51 AM, Grant Edwards
3
4 >> If you mean you want the files encoded at a resolution of 1024x600,
5 >> you can tell handbrake what output resolution you want. ??You'll get
6 >> far better results by encoding to the desired resolution, format and
7 >> bit-rate you want the first time than you will re-encoding a second
8 >> time.
9 >>
10 >> You can create your own presets with whatever encoding settings you
11 >> want.
12 >
13 > I've got to say I'm really impressed with Handbrake overall. It just
14 > works, most especially if you use one of the presets. I've had only
15 > one problem with any of my experiments which was that files encoded
16 > using the High profile cause xine to crash with some sort of floating
17 > point error. I don't personally care about the high profile so to me
18 > it's a non-issue.
19 >
20 > One thing I haven't been able to figure out so far is where you
21 > change the presentation size.
22
23 I think it's the -w and -l options for width and height, respectively.
24
25 I only use the CLI version (https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/CLIGuide),
26 but I'm sure there's somewhere in the GUI to set all that stuff as well.
27 I think that web page is a bit out of date, so do "HandbrakeCLI
28 --help" for a current set of options.
29
30 > I presume that presentation size is the one I want to change to
31 > 1024x600 as that's the native resolution of the Kindle. However I
32 > discovered where I unlock those setting in Handbrake. Do you know?
33
34 -w and -l set the output file's width/height (in pixels). If your
35 pixels are square, then I think that's all you need. If your pixels
36 aren't square, then I think you need some other options.
37
38 You can get a list of the exact settings for each of the presets by
39 doing HandBrakeCLI --preset-list.
40
41 > Anyway, it's a very nice little program for anyone else who's GUI
42 > oriented like me.
43
44 I don't have the GUI version installed, so I'm afraid I can't help
45 with that end of it, but IIRC the GUI will let you create your own
46 presets. I don't think the CLI version does custom presets, but it
47 would be easy enough to copy the settings from one of the built-in
48 presets into a file, and edit them until you get a command line that
49 works the way you want.
50
51 Once you've figured out good settings for your device, submit a patch,
52 and next time maybe HandBrake will already "just know" what to do. :)
55 Grant