From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: DVD->mp4 - handbrake vs something else
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2011 01:23:07
1 On Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 11:51 AM, Grant Edwards
2 <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > On 2011-10-30, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
4 <SNIP>
5 >> I'd like to see about reducing the file size a bit if
6 >> possible. At the same time the native resolution of the Fire is
7 >> 1024x600 so I'm wondering about whether I can make the movies look
8 >> better by making the mp4 file somehow know about that size.
9 >
10 > If you mean you want the files encoded at a resolution of 1024x600,
11 > you can tell handbrake what output resolution you want.  You'll get
12 > far better results by encoding to the desired resolution, format and
13 > bit-rate you want the first time than you will re-encoding a second
14 > time.
15 >
16 > You can create your own presets with whatever encoding settings you
17 > want.
18 >
19 > --
20 > Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! World War III?
21
22 Hi Grant,
23 I've got to say I'm really impressed with Handbrake overall. It
24 just works, most especially if you use one of the presets. I've had
25 only one problem with any of my experiments which was that files
26 encoded using the High profile cause xine to crash with some sort of
27 floating point error. I don't personally care about the high profile
28 so to me it's a non-issue.
29
30 One thing I haven't been able to figure out so far is where you
31 change the presentation size. I presume that presentation size is the
32 one I want to change to 1024x600 as that's the native resolution of
33 the Kindle. However I discovered where I unlock those setting in
34 Handbrake. Do you know?
35
36 Anyway, it's a very nice little program for anyone else who's GUI
37 oriented like me.
38
39 Cheers,
40 Mark