From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Smart Database
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 21:54:53
1 Jon Hardcastle <jd_hardcastle@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 > Thanks for your input! Wow that is alot more complicated that I had
4 > hoped!
5 >
6 > I am already using the masked version of Smartmontools but the 5.39
7 > version does not include 1 of the HDD I use and as I have got a
8 > whole load more of that exact model of drive on the way I would like
9 > it to. I have emailed the smartmontools maintainers and they added
10 > the drive 5 days ago, and hence is in the svn version. Hence me
11 > wanting to get the latest version of the drive DB.
12
13 Well what I call hard may not be that hard to you... I'll admit to not
14 being the brightest bulb on the Xmas tree... but I was able to do it
15 without too much time lost.
16
17 I suggest you ask about a walk thru for doing an overlay and custom
18 build of smartmontools.
19
20 Maybe a direct subject line like
21 Subject: Pointers to the Basics of custom building a pkg (ebuild
22 cmds)
23
24 Then lay out again what you want to do.
25
26 Someone will help shortly... There is probably a nice gentoo website
27 that explains it all that someone will no doubt send you too.
28
29 All I see offhand is the section of the hanbook here (for x86):
30 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?full=1
31
32 Under the heading:
33 # Working with Portage
34
35 But that isn't really enough.. and much of it isn't needed.
36
37 It really boils down to Setting up the overlay (your own portage).
38
39 Which needn't be any more than:
40
41 mkdir -p /usr/local/portage/sys-apps
42
43 Then copy the contents of the needed directory that is under
44 /usr/portage.
45
46 cp -a /usr/portage/sys-apps/smartmontools /usr/local/portage/sys-apps
47
48 That is a hefty good start... from there it is only a handful of ebuild
49 commands that do the work, and knowing where to put the svn build
50 files.
51
52 You might as well use the full svn checkout and build from that rather
53 than just sticking in the one *.h file.
54
55 You will need to tell emerge where to look for your build and I think
56 you may need layman installed.. although not sure on that point.
57
58 If you install layman, it will create some of the needed hierarchy
59 too, then"
60
61 echo "source /anex/usr/local/portage/layman/make.conf" >> /etc/make.conf
62
63 (of course, make sure to use:
64 The non-destructive `>>' redirect intead of `>')
65
66 There is more to it, but again its really a small amount of knowledge
67 needed to do what you are after.... now running a large custom overlay
68 may be anther story...
69
70 Of course another route is to build from the svn pkgs and ignore
71 emerge. It should build ok... I'd think. Then just keep the binaries
72 in /usr/local/bin and maybe later on, portage will catch up to the
73 stuff you need and at that point... emerge it.
74
75 There is no harm to the system in having a few home built pkgs long as
76 you don't get so many you forget what is what.
77
78 Of coures there is always some chance of confusion too when deviating from
79 the built in software installing tools.