From: Jon Hardcastle <jd_hardcastle@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Smart Database
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 16:44:41
1 --- On Tue, 19/1/10, Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
4 > Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Smart Database
5 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
6 > Date: Tuesday, 19 January, 2010, 15:10
7 > Jon Hardcastle <jd_hardcastle@×××××.com>
8 > writes:
9 >
10 > > Hi guys,
11 > >
12 > > I want to update my gentoo install to use the latest
13 > trunk version
14 > > of the smartmontools drive database.
15 > >
16 > > Does anyone have any gentoo orientated guidance here?
17 > I have spoken
18 > > to the chaps there and they say to run configure with
19 > > '--enable-drivedb' and then copy over the the current
20 > SVN version of
21 > > drivedb.h to DATADIR/smartmontools
22 > >
23 > > But i wonder where this fits into the wonderful world
24 > of gentoo and
25 > > package management/
26 >
27 > First... is the svn version really different than the
28 > ~<ARCHITECTURE>
29 > version on portage?.. that is version 5.39
30 >
31 > You can get that version by putting an tilde followed by
32 > your machine
33 > architecture (on the cmd line if you don't want to run as
34 > development
35 > version always) otherwise in /etc/make.conf
36 >    for x86 it would look like:
37 >
38 >    ~x86
39 >
40 > Then you can add you configure argument (--enable-drivedb)
41 > using the
42 > EXTRA_ECONF flag.  Which will tell gentoo to use that
43 > flag at
44 > `./configure' time.
45 >
46 > So the emerge command line would be something like this:
47 >
48 > ACCEPT_KEYWORDS='~x86' EXTRA_ECONF='--enable-drivedb' \
49 >   emerge -v smartmontools
50 >
51 > (all on one line would be best)
52 >
53 > Now if you really need to introduce drivedb.h from svn
54 > repostory then
55 > you will need to go the overlay route... I
56 > think.   Someone more
57 > knowledgable will be able to correct me .. I'm sure.
58 >
59 > That process involves installing your own separate portage
60 > in some
61 > other directory (/usr/local/portage) and using ebuild
62 > commands to
63 > build your own version.
64 >
65 > You would need to install `layman' for starters
66 >
67 > In that case you could introduce any commands or files you
68 > like, and
69 > process them with `ebuild'.
70 >
71 > The process is not all that hard, but I better leave an
72 > explanation of
73 > how to do it to someone here who is more familiar with it.
74 >
75 > I've done it but only rarely... and last time was a while
76 > ago.
81 Hi,
82
83 Thanks for your input! Wow that is alot more complicated that I had hoped!
84
85 I am already using the masked version of Smartmontools but the 5.39 version does not include 1 of the HDD I use and as I have got a whole load more of that exact model of drive on the way I would like it to. I have emailed the smartmontools maintainers and they added the drive 5 days ago, and hence is in the svn version. Hence me wanting to get the latest version of the drive DB.