From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Fragmentation of my drives. Curious mostly
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2008 00:29:04
1 On 2 Dec 2008, at 13:13, Wolfgang Liebich wrote:
2 > ...
3 > My experience with NTFS is somewhat more balanced (maybe). In about 12
4 > years I experienced one damaged NTFS instance. This was caused by a
5 > crash during an installation ...
6 >
7 > So my conclusion --- NTFS is not so easy to damage, but if you manage
8 > it, you're toast :-/
9
10 I'm not sure that your experience with NTFS _is_ more balanced - I've
11 seen a number of PCs this year which fail booting into Windows
12 (displaying the XP splashscreen before rebooting again in an unending
13 cycle) which have been repaired using only chkdsk.
14
15 Because the user liked to power his PC down at the wall - for energy-
16 saving reasons or peace-of-mind over house-fires, I'm knackered if I
17 know - and because "it was taking too long to shutdown" when he wanted
18 to go to bed - I know one of these was unplugged whilst still shutting
19 down, but surely not all of them were.
20
21 Stroller.