From: "Nuno J. Silva (aka njsg)" <nunojsilva@×××××××.pt>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Udev update and persistent net rules changes
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2013 08:11:03
1 On 2013-04-02, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 02/04/2013 21:13, Paul Hartman wrote:
3 >> On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 7:00 PM, Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org> wrote:
4 >>> The most important para to me in the news item was: "The feature can also be
5 >>> completely disabled using net.ifnames=0 on the kernel command line." I just
6 >>> added that to my grub.conf entries and I sail blissfully on with eth0.
9 >> I updated remote virtual server (xen guest) and added this same
10 >> option, crossed my fingers and rebooted, eth0 was still there and I
11 >> was happy.
15 > I did this to get exactly the same result:
16 >
17 > $ ls -al /etc/udev/rules.d/
18 > total 8
19 > drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Apr 1 15:10 .
20 > drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 Mar 30 20:34 ..
21 > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Apr 1 15:10 80-net-name-slot.rules -> /dev/null
22 >
23 > Like you, I happen to *like* eth0 and wlan0 on a laptop workstation
24 > :-)
25
26 Sort of the same here, except that I use lan0 instead of eth0, because
27 once in a while I use broadcom's wireless drivers instead of the kernel
28 drivers, and the former assign an ethX name.
29
30 Sadly, I still get some problems after resuming from hibernation:
31 *sometimes*, the ethernet NIC won't be renamed lan0 (and remains eth0),
32 and I have to rmmod and modprobe.
33
34 Also sadly, the fact that several people go "oh noes you can't use
35 wlan0" when I try to get comments on how to fix the issue does not
36 help a lot...
40 Nuno Silva (aka njsg)
41 http://njsg.sdf-eu.org/